writers block

jimini2001

have you ever had one of those years only to be topped at the end by seeming to forget every thing you have ever learned about music?i seem to be having problems putting three chords together,much less actually compose something.there seems to be a silence in my brain that is deafening.i guess i'll play three chord progressions and scales until four chord progressions seem a possability.god i hate this part of honeing my skills.i know it will pass.i just thought someone had some hints for shortening this process.thanks ahead of time.

jim

Been there quite a few times, myself.
*I usually take a break for a few days.
*Change my room around.
*Do something physical to pump some new blood around where it's needed.
*Anything to change the routine I've been in for so long.

It's like a rut, my imagination just can't get up over the sides.
Yeah, it passes, but I try to hurry it along.

Good luck.

Dont think about writing a song. Play your instrument and enjoy doing that. Writers block is cyclical and comes and goes naturally. If you force yourself to write a song it will most likely sound contrived.

Maybe try and learn to play another instrument to inspire you.

Are you talking about composing on the guitar/what instrument/Is it lyrical? What's the duration of this writers block so far?

my main instrument is guitar,but i play bass,keyboards,flute and trumpet.i usually get through these things by turning my guitar upside down and teach myself chords on my right hand.it takes some thinking and it improves my playing a lot.been blocked for about a month now.i know it will pass and when it does i,ll be a better player and composer,or that's how it's always worked before.i probably do need to lay off music for a couple of days.i think i'll just go smoke a joint and chill for a couple of days.maybe smoke a few.haven't done that for a while.thanks guys.

Krystof01 said:
Dont think about writing a song. Play your instrument and enjoy doing that. Writers block is cyclical and comes and goes naturally. If you force yourself to write a song it will most likely sound contrived.

I completely agree.

Krystof01 said:

I remember reading an interview with Elvis Costello once where he said something to the effect that writing
songs is like any form of exercise - it needs to be practiced and worked everyday. Not that I am a professional songwriter (let alone my stuff even coming close to his), but my music and creative flow has improved by following this basic idea. So I'm not so sure I agree with "non-force" approach. Obviously do what works for you, and yes, it should be enjoyable, but I am finding that the muse can be coaxed.

How much do you actually know about writing chord progressions? What Chords go with what in what key and how to go about changing keys. If you are lacking in this area? this block may just be the time to pick up some literature and become more knowledgable in how to go about writing chord progressions. Most chord progressions dont fit together by chance.

Blocked. Indeed a misnomer if ever there was one.
The creative process will always remain a mystery.
Empty seems much more appropriate.
It's like trying to harvest a crop that has never been planted. The futility of inducing labor in one who is not pregnant. When we fail to give birth to an artistic idea, it isn't because we are blocked; more likely, we never concieved. So how do we concieve? Some say it comes from inspiration. Another abstract word. Yet inspiration, the word itself, comes from the latin spiritus, which means, literally, "to take in the spirit", "to inhale, to breath in something essential". The very opposite of expire.
So, inspiration seems to be a kind of spiritual ingestion, a taking in of some etheral seminal essence. In fact, impregnation.
I believe we do this by cultivating a state of receptivity, especially to feelings, and by finding a means of entering the present moment fully. The quality of what we take in effects the quality of what comes out. And birth is the end, not the beginning of the creative process.
Such a realization may warrant a new salutation. Instead of bidding each other "Good Day" or "Hey, how's it going?"
We may simply bid each other "Good Harvest."

michael,
you must be a politician,or you should be.you sure use a lot of words to get your point across.i agree with the empty part though.a pretty good description.however you make it sound as though if one is empty at the moment that one has never had a thought in ones' head.maybe the bowl is empty because to much has been taken to fast,or from lack of new motivation.maybe it's from trying to hard.trying to push something that has a natural flow,thus interupting that flow.maybe it,s from being too intimate with my guitar and not getting enough outside influences.maybe i just need to go out and play with the other boys my own age.if any of them are still playing out.(they are.)and,i agree with the learning,as dragonworks sugested.i,ve got a pretty good grasp on music theory,but there is always room for improvement.it seems that when this happens that i'm at a plateau on the learning curve and that i always come out not only a better player but i learn new things fairly quickly for awhile after that.i just hate the empty thing that happens to start this process.i,ve been playing for over thirty years and i try to learn something new at least once a week.i'm just in that learning plateau.i just wanted a shoulder to cry on and maybe a way of shortening this process .thanks again.
jim

jimini2001

Often the best tool to defeat writer's block for lyrics is to keep writing. Anything. That you can contribute to this forum proves you're already doing that so it shouldn't be too hard to sneak up on an elusive verse or two by just taking a step back and looking at your work from a third person standpoint.

So buck up!

Greenwood MS? Wow, I spent a few summers near there at my uncle's place in Tchula back in the mid '50's.

From the stand of cottonwoods
She waved without a second look
She bowed her head along the rise
Walked inside and closed the book

Live on, live on, love like a river runs deep
I curse the day I learned to swim
Lately I've been losin' sleep

jimini2001 said:
michael,
you must be a politician,or you should be.you sure use a lot of words to get your point across.i agree with the empty part though.a pretty good description.however you make it sound as though if one is empty at the moment that one has never had a thought in ones' head.jim

I didn't mean for it to sound that way. If one is empty, you can always be re-fuled, or re-filled. I guess it's just how you go about re-filling, and re-kindeling the creative process.

I know of a really good book. It's called "The Art of Practicing" writen by Madeline Bruser. It should be required reading for all musicians.

Good Harvest, to you my friend.

i'll try the book.i am begining to get little snipets of lyrics but they don't fit together.maybe i'm writing multiple songs at once.at any rate i'm writing something.maybe my muse is bach from the holidays vacation.pardon the play on words.at any rate i'm begining to break through.i hope.somethings coming annd thats better than where i was.hopefuly it won't wane.who knows?maybe i just need to break up with my girl friend.that always brings a jag of those beer drinking,my dog don't love me any more,lonesome train wistle songs that we all enjoy listening to so much.donen't seem like a viable solution though.thanks again.i'm headed for the book store.i'll probably buy a crossword book.at least if the book on practice dosen't help at least i'll be writing something.

When I started writing (mostly commercials) in '69 or so for some LA publishers my motivation was money. No product, no pay. Advice at the time was to work like a reporter with a deadline; create a headline and build from that. I only lasted a few years before going full time to performing but those 75 clams a week was a great tool.

So here's a idea, take $100 and put it in a envelope addressed to someplace you don't want it go like Oral Roberts or the IRS and give yourself till noon Tuesday to finish your song or you mail it off. That otta thaw the ice.

I hate to say it, but I have spent whole years in that state of mind. Yeck!

Unless you are working for money, as Phil mentioned, what's the hurry? I came to the conclusion that if I wasn't inspired to write a good song...perhaps I should be doing something else that I *am* inspired to do.

I go for long walks in the woods, take my motorcycle out for long rides to new places, see a thought provoking movie, read a good book. Call an old friend I haven't seen for a long time. Go to a coffee shop, order a HUGE triple shot mocha and people watch.

Whatever I chose to do, I take along paper and pencil a write my thoughts as I feel moved to, but I forget all about song writing.

The way I see it the inspiration for songs and music comes from experiences and life. When I have no more stuff to write about I take it as a sign to go out and get some more life in. :)

I also try to remember that my ego and self image don't depend on being able to write new music all the time. Remember that your old stuff is still good and relax- it will pass.

Take care,
Chris

Hi jimini........Lots of good ideas from the gang here. I only want to agree with what ive read so far and emphasize what Kristof01 and dragon said. 1) Dont worry about it , and 2) Use the time to expand your knowledge. Learning new stuff on guitar has always inspired me and perhaps made it easier for me to hear the stuff already there in my head.
For now, relax, and when it's time...
writeon...chazba

I almost forgot..........Michael Jones, you have presented some difficult ideas and made them very easy to underdstand. Thanks.
Let's hear (read) some of your lyrics.
Good Harvest to you..........
writeon...chazba

Thanks chazba, sometimes I tend to wax esoterical. I'm glad my few words lead towards a deeper understanding, a further awareness, of what we all already knew.
I don't portend to be a lyricist, such a daunting task is better left to the poets of our time.

I do however, believe that music should convey emotion, not just in a lyrical sense, but through harmonic progressions and melodic movements. For me, music speaks louder than words; I truly feel that a soft, tender melody, much like a single, masterful painting, can speak volumes.

Life constantly offers us new and exciting directions. In many respects, music does the same. An interesting counterpoint, an unexpected twist or turn in a movement, a harmonic progression leading towards a fresh new melody. In so many ways, music mirrors life.

Let us not forget though, that the efforts of cultivation can be as rewarding as the harvest.

And with that friend, I bid to you, Good Harvest.

from the dankness of despair, i want to thank everyone who has given comfort in my time of need.i know this will pass as it always does,but,FREEKING WHEN?i know i always seem to come through these things a better musician,better timing,better and different progressions,new tunes,greater variety,but,FREEKING WHEN?oh well i'm not going to panic.i'm not going to panic.FREEKING WHEN?i''m gonna go roll a fatty and watch some brainless drivel on the tube.i know this will pass and i really do want to yhank every one.
jim

Ways out of the hole...

Hi Jimini & all,

I've been there more than once, frustrating stuff isn't it... as a guitarist-songwriter this is what has helped me most, maybe something will work for you as well?

* I try to bend myself "away" from thinking about any frills like production, arrangements, even away from thinking of vocal harmonies, anything "layered", any "trick" chords & chord changes, and try to find my way back to the basics - like just basic chords and humming - for a while. Sometimes, imposing those limitations has helped me get down to the root of things, and eventually led to coming up with a couple of good, simple ideas. Then I'll try to start there, and build from those.

* Retuning a guitar (usually acoustic in my case) to an open tuning like open G, open D or open E and then fiddling with that for days or even weeks has been immensely creative for me when I'm in a rut. Having less familiarity with my instrument has helped me approach writing from a different angle. Plus, these open tunings can sometimes push you towards a more piano-like approach - I find it comes more natural to play basic chords and play a melody at the same time.

* Again on the guitar side, just using a good old capo has been really useful in getting me going as well. The different tonal quality has pushed me down other paths, sometimes starting me to write again. If you are a home recorder, recording guitar parts with different capo positions "per guitar" can give really nice sounds and get you thinking in different ways, waking up your creativity! Combining open tunings and capos can be even more challenging, creative and fun...

* I've sometimes used Brian Eno's "Oblique Strategies" cards (which can be found in PC or PDA format here and there on the web, if you can't find the actual box of cards) as a way of pushing me to think out-of-the-box and approach things from new angles. I've mainly used them during arrangement and production in "blocked" studio situations, but they should work in any creative situation... maybe they're an acquired taste, or not appealing for everyone, but they've been useful and a lot of fun for me at least...

* Finally, sometimes I've scrapped "trying to compose" during blocked periods, and instead dug out, bought or borrowed a bunch of albums by other artists I like, but whose songs I've never bothered to learn playing, and just play along with them for a while. Usually I try to learn ALL the songs on the albums - not just my favorite tracks, since they're probably the most familiar ones, and will for this purpose help me the least. This always ends up with me learning something new, may it be licks & riffs, chord progressions, ways to approach and build songs, whatever. More importantly, I always pick up a lot of inspiration, sometimes from the most unexpected sources, which can at best turn into that little piece of string you start pulling at, and eventually off you go in your own direction from that starting point. Listening to records/artists/types of music that you normally don't listen to that much can be a really good source of inspiration as well! For me personally, the soundtrack from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou", which is mainly full of bluegrass/old American mountain music, really got me off my chair a year ago, even though I needed to write more structured Beatlesque-type pop songs at the time. Whatever gets the wheels rolling...

What kind of stuff do you like to listen to, what kind of music do you write? For what kind of "context"and instrumentation do you usually write? Knowing that, maybe different people here could suggest some songs/albums that might kick you off in a good direction? Would be fun to try...

Hope something here is useful & helps, I'll be writing you guys when I get stuck next time. :)

good luck /Tommy

Back