write caching = preformance hit

Fusion2

i use an ups and am careful about what i do, i just don't care for the power hit my system takes when i disable write caching, any thoughts on this please respond...

could this tweak be left over from the 300mhz days? i do indeed see the offering on win xp though, what's the deal? please, your response is appreciated 10x...

it takes an 1800mhz system about 5 times as long to complete a task when caching is disabled... maybe more....

Caching is the process of retaining (hopefully) frequently used data in a more quickly accessible place. The draw back is that the cache has to (at the very least) be verified whenever it's used to check if it's up to date. So if stuff in the cache is never reused all it amounts to is extra processing of the data. Usually this isn't the case.

I'm not sure what write caching is specifically in this situation, but I suspect what you are talking about is the OS keeping a image of recently written portions of the hard drive in memory in case they are accessed again. This doesn't neccessarily mean that data isn't comiitted in the first place, although it may be the case.

Try and find some documention of the feature to find out exactly what it does.

the config was mentioned in a pc recording tweaks artical along with using 2 hard drives and moving the swap file to the second drive...

i'll google for it thanks...

it may work with xp's prefetch then, i have it disabled also...

Back