WOW 24/96 is power hungry!!!!!!!!!! Plz Help.

MrBoogie

I bought a Delta 66 a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it. Sounds much better than the Turtle Beach cards...especially at 24/96; which leads me to the problem.

With 16bit 44.1kHz audio, my current setup has been plenty....I can do as many tracks as I'd ever want to with LOTS of dx fx. I've done 12 tracks with up to 11 separate fx running, plus the midi stuff without choking the system. It is a K6-2/500, epox via-mvp3g motherboard, 128 megs of ram, 7200 rpm 13.6 gig hd.

With 24/96, I was able to make the system choke with 1 track and 3 dx effects when I switched the internal precision of a reverb from 32 to 64 bit. Well, I know I could keep it at 32 bit, but 64 bit sounds noticeably better :).

I know the obvious thing to do is upgrade the cpu/motherboard, and probably will need new ram since I use the cheapo mixed stuff on this rig...From what I understand, these BX motherboards are very picky about ram.

I would like advice on what cpu/mb to get. Tell me what you have(specs and all) and what kind of results you can get without choking the system. By the way, I'm not the least bit interested in over-clocking. No point in taking even the slightest risk with my music...it's too important to me, and I dont mind spending a little more....My budget is in the $350 range for the cpu/mb and of course whatever 128megs of ram will cost if the motherboard requires "premium" dimms.

This is your chance to show off your goodies(get your mind out of the gutter...i mean your computer!) hehe

I've never tried 24/96 so I can't say what the requirements are. But for a cpu and motherboard - An Intel will improve your situation quite a bit. The K6, K6-X, just don't cut it. Stay with a BX chipset for the moment though. Asus P3B-F/F1, Abit BH6/BF6, both good boards. The Abit is cheaper. For a processor, maybe an Intel 750MHz, FC-PGA.

Again, I don't know how 24/96 will work with this setup. I use 24/44.1 and get 24 tracks easy with a few effects. This is with an Intel PIII 650MHz and 128MB, 7200RPM, etc.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 07-19-2000).]

Back