Would This Help The Quality Of My Recordings?

Jude2010

Okay i just received €100/$134 and was looking around for something new for my music production/recording

currently i only own a
SE Electronics SE2200A
Alesis IO|2 USB Interface
as well as all the mic essentials. Mic stand, pop filter, cable etc

I was just thinking what next?
what should i spend the money on?

So firstly i'm not really into producing my own instrumentals as such and i'm probably going to hold out until i'm ready to get a midi controller and all those stuff needed so i thought id just focus on the quality of the vocals i record
i dont have the money to get my room fully 'aucoustified' or soundproofed but i came across one of these:
THE T.BONE MICSCREEN - Irish International Cyberstore
SE ELECTRONICS REFLEXION FILTER PROJECT STUD. - Irish International Cyberstore

there are probably lots of different makes by now and i believe SE were the first to manufacture these mini 'vocal booths'. or so they say
i'm just a little sceptical ;)

I just want to know if these are effective or is it just a way of attracting noobs like myself into thinking i'll get better recordings with something like this?

Or should i start my music producing trail with a little MIDI Controller for 100 bucks?
MIDITECH MIDICONTROL PRO 49 - Irish International Cyberstore

Or maybe there's something else i could buy to get better vocal recording?

So any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

First of all, I think absorber/diffusor is a contradiction in terms. The two devices have opposite effects.

My guess is that you'd get better results from more comprehensive DIY room treatment.

As for the MIDI controller... well, if you ask me, there's no such thing as having too many keyboards. :D

You need at least A keyboard IMO. You don't need filters if you have a decent space to record in. And for the price of some of them, it might be cheaper to carpet your walls. Not that you'd want to, but in terms of end results, would it be that dramatic? I have an sE reflexion filter. It does help, but the amount is relatively insignificant IMO. Negligible if you have a decent space to start with. If you have issues, but all means get and use one. But unless you record in the tiled laundry room. Have a really noisy computer in the same room. Or other quirks, you don't "need" one IMO.

The online pictures can be misleading IMO, the sE reflexion filter (the large one) is relatively small IMO. Not even big enough for a stereo pair IMO. Unless it's in the form of an Avatone CK-40 or something. It's only half a circle-ish, and 14" at it's widest. Like 7" (optimistic) at it's deepest. 5" mic, 3" XLR connector for a horizontal SDC, and you're less than 180 degrees of "filtering". And it's only like 12" high so if your floor / ceiling is the problem, it's not the solution of choice.

It is an engineered product and does do something noticeable. But dollar for dollar, you're better off with DIY, if only to have more area coverage of a problematic space. An sE reflexion filter is more for event type stuff where you have 0% control over the space. And need something not quite overbearing for the venue.

First of all, I think absorber/diffusor is a contradiction in terms. The two devices have opposite effects.

Not nececellery. It's all physics, which is a PITA actually. But it's all about getting rid of energy at your mic. One of the basic tenets in physics is that the energy in the universe is fixed, it can be neither created nor destroyed. Sound is energy, so you can't get rid of it. What do you do? Disperse it, or change it into another form of energy. Absorbers transform sound into mechanical energy, make the actual physical object resonate, which moves air which does something else, yada yada, but there you have conservation of energy. Diffusors take a single high energy wave, such as off a kick drum, and scatter it into millions of tiny low energy waves, not enough to excite something like a mic diaphragm. Still have conservation of energy. Bottom line is that both do the same thing in different ways. Can you combine the 2? Yeah, stick a diffuser in front of an absorber, what the diffuser don't scatter the absorber will transform.

As for the MIDI controller... well, if you ask me, there's no such thing as having too many keyboards. :D

Just got my first keyboard. Yamaha Portable Grand, acts as a midi controller too, These days getting into this stuff is easy, not saying playing the thing is easy, but getting a keyboard/midi aint a stretch. I agree mate, start there if that's what you want to do. Get the fun stuff first.

Not at all, a device could certainly both scatter and transform energy waves. If they were actually trying to achieve different goals they would be at cross purposes.

Just start recording some music - don't think any more about what gear to buy - the music is what matters, the inspiratiion is what is important. The gear is of secondary importance.

Okay i just received €100/$134 and was looking around for something new for my music production/recording

currently i only own a
SE Electronics SE2200A
Alesis IO|2 USB Interface
as well as all the mic essentials. Mic stand, pop filter, cable etc

I was just thinking what next?
what should i spend the money on?

So firstly i'm not really into producing my own instrumentals as such and i'm probably going to hold out until i'm ready to get a midi controller and all those stuff needed so i thought id just focus on the quality of the vocals i record
i dont have the money to get my room fully 'aucoustified' or soundproofed but i came across one of these:
THE T.BONE MICSCREEN - Irish International Cyberstore
SE ELECTRONICS REFLEXION FILTER PROJECT STUD. - Irish International Cyberstore

there are probably lots of different makes by now and i believe SE were the first to manufacture these mini 'vocal booths'. or so they say
i'm just a little sceptical ;)

I just want to know if these are effective or is it just a way of attracting noobs like myself into thinking i'll get better recordings with something like this?

Or should i start my music producing trail with a little MIDI Controller for 100 bucks?
MIDITECH MIDICONTROL PRO 49 - Irish International Cyberstore

Or maybe there's something else i could buy to get better vocal recording?

So any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Do you have some decent monitors? If you don't, I'd start there before worrying about your acoustic situation.

Back