Would the Studio Projects C1 Condenser Mic be right for me?

Canibus

I record rap and I'm currently using the samson co1 condenser mic. Not the best but definitely better than what people say about it. The only thing is that I think it picks up a little bit too much noise, maybe ground noise but im not sure what ground noise really is. Well the reason im interested in the C1 is because I've been hearing it rivals much more expensive mics at just the fraction of the price. I would like warm vocals. But can anyone tell me if this would be a big improvement over my current mic. I only intend to spend $200 at the maximum. Just for reference. I use a M-Audio Fast Track Pro which is a external soundcard. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes it is an improvement. Are you after a scooped mid and a 5k (maybe a little higher, say 7 - 12) bump? Then this is it! You want flat response, what you put in you get out? CAD M177 or AT 4040. You want full tones and packed mids? grab a baby bottle.
You want warm? I have no idea what that means.

well let me reitterate. Im look for a mic that would be good for rap that wouldnt pick up a lot of background noise.

unfortunately, the only real answer is to not have so much background noise.
(re: equipment with lower noise floor and soundproof rooms)

EV re-20 or sure sm-7 may be good choices (though a little more expensive) will be less "brittle" than other mic's in that price range, and probably not pick up as much background noise.
however, it the noise is coming from some point in your recording chain having a lower output mic like a dynamic will only make it worse. (because you will be forced to turn up your pre amp higher)

giraffe said:
the C1 is usually described as "clear" and not "warm"

I could approve that description. I just recently picked the C1 up it is very "clear." It's up to personal preference but I love how it sounds, there IS a slight bump mid-high bump but it is desirable for me.......

Anyways, I would recommend a different mic for your application. I would second the sm-7 choice.

can you guys tell me what causes background noise besides things in your room. So i can try to eliminate what could be causing it. could it be my mic or preamp?

crap causes noise
too much stuff on the circuit
computer fans
line surges
cables
cheap preamps
expensive preamps
bad gain staging
little gremlins
big gremlins
American Motors Gremlins (God I'm old)
fluorescent lights

well my mic is about a foot away from my computer. but its much more elevated cause its on its stand. But i was searching on this forum and saw a person have a problem with hiss with his samson co3. since mine is an older samson co1. do you think this is the problem?. also, someone suggested to him that the studio projects B1 mic would be much quieter compared to the samson. do you guys think the same or have your own suggestion of a mic under $200?

I got the c1 and i've almost gave up on it many times but i keep experimenting with positioning and finding new sounds. I got a soundclick commercial and a freestyle that i did with it if you wanna hear(even though your results with the c1 may sound different from mine). Go to www.soundclick.com/tonejonez. Tone Jonez Commercial and Freestyle.

tone_aot said:
I got the c1 and i've almost gave up on it many times but i keep experimenting with positioning and finding new sounds. I got a soundclick commercial and a freestyle that i did with it if you wanna hear(even though your results with the c1 may sound different from mine). Go to www.soundclick.com/tonejonez. Tone Jonez Commercial and Freestyle.
It sounds crisp, I definitely like that. Can you tell me if it picks up a lot of noise.
Also, why did you almost give up on it? Was it giving you problems? Also, what kind of Preamp do you use?

I may have worded this wrong. Its not background noise like cars outside or my fridge but when i play my vocals back its almost silent except for like a hiss i guess you can call it. Would a different mic like the sp b1 mic rid this?

Who knows!! You have to find the SOURCE of the hiss, IE equipment in the room causing it (your computer??), or the mic itself..

Consensor mics are inherintly sensative. If you can hear it in the room, chances are its going to be in the recording somewhere. But the hiss you hear MAY be the self noise of the microphone. The Studio Projects B1 has a very low self noise. So for 100 smackers you could see if thats your problem. Its a great mic too. But if the hiss is still there with the B1, that means its somthing in the room. Its goign to be there with every other condensor mic you use. But Im guessing its the self noise of the mic. Myabe even your pre.. But I doubt that.

The sure SM7 (because its a dynamic mic, not a condensor) tends to be less sensative to slight back ground noise.

-josh

thanks man, im probably going to get a sp b1 mic since itd be cool to have more than 1 mic anyways. I hope this sounds good with my voice, I do rap. Also. on samsons website I located my mic but the info wouldnt tell me its self noise. I guess, it must pick up a lot and that being the reason they want to keep it a secret?

what is describes as "hiss" is usually a result of a dirty pre-amp, cheap sound card or improper gain stageing.
i do not think it is the mic.
(but it could be, and hey..... having a new mic is always fun anywho)

Big Kenny said:
crap causes noise
too much stuff on the circuit
computer fans
line surges
cables
cheap preamps
expensive preamps
bad gain staging
little gremlins
big gremlins
American Motors Gremlins (God I'm old)
fluorescent lights

and Samson mics.

I have access to very expensive high end mics, and I use the C1 on vocals all the time. It sounds great to my ear. It is clean, and crisp, and when you drive it a bit with a nice tube preamp it sounds edgy and in your face. I love that mic like crazy. People sometimes laugh when I pull it out, but when it sounds right, most people tend to agree with it.

As far as noise, that's a whole different issue. If you can't reduce the noise in your studio, then you really ought to ditch condensor mics altogether.

Go buy a shure SM7 and be done with it. You'll probably have much better noise control with a mic like that. Though, using a mic because it picks up less noise isn't going to give you the best sound possible, most likely.

I almost gave up on it because it took me while to get the sound i wanted for rap. I had to change the mic position and put on the low cut. I went through alot of positions! Also, i was trying to get the compression right. I'm very happy with this mic tho. Regardless, i'm addicted to mics and i want more of them!

Back