Would multiple mics help? (as in buying different ones, different models)

TravisK

I'm trying to get a bit more seperation from instruments and I am wondering if part of our problem at our studio is using SM57s and 58s so much.

They are great mics for sure (or shure, haha), but would different mics (multiple models and brands, not the same) yield better results?

Right now we have a Beta 52 for Kick, 57 for top of snare, 58 for bottom, Samson Co2s for overhead and QToms for toms. We want to upgrade the tom mics, but what to? What about the overheads? What would complement our current shure basis the best?

We use 57s and 58s for guitar cabs, and a M-Audio Luna for vox.

Budget is certainly an issue, and i'm sure you get these questions a lot.

I guess my main thing is, will using different brands and models help diversify the sound, but keep things in unison? We aren't getting bad mixes, but as I buy more mics, I want to know if staying the same will improve or hurt us? Should we get more 57s for the toms?

A lot of people like 57's for toms...I dont. I have a couple but I only use them on guitar cabs. I use Sennheiser e604's on toms...sometimes you can come across a good deal on ebay on used ones...got my 3 for $207 and recently picked up one more for only $36. On snare, I use an ATM29he. to me, its better there than the 57, and I also use a beta 52 on kick. Look for some MXL603's for overheads...I do not have any, and have had very limited use with them...but they get a lot of good reviews. I use Oktava MK012's and they are GREAT. They replaced my JM27's as overheads but not on accoustic guitar. I think you should invest in OH mics before the toms mics since well placed OH's can still give good results. You can mix in a little from the samsons until you can afford to replace them.

57s on the toms have always worked for me, Even in some of the really good studios i've recorded in, 57s have always been thrown on my kit. I barely ever keep the close mic of the toms in the mic though, its just there to add a little resonence since my overheads in my room sound amazing. Maybe upgrade those, Also how is the room you record in? Thats the biggest part in my opinion before mics come into play. If stuff sounds to trashy in the room, Your only gonna be able to make it sound trashy at BEST when recording (with out super powers of course).

Ben

this room was built for recording in mind, though also as a lounge area for us as well. so it has thick carpet, square walls with other semi walls sticking out (kind hard to explain, but to diffuse the sound mainly). The paint was chosen because it is textured and thick. The ceiling is a drop ceiling with black cloth hanging at angles to diffuse as well.

After the furniture was added, we get a nice room verb (perfect in my opinion for vocals, and not bad for drums--a little not verbish enough for drums, but hey, we only had one room!)

does that help? i can show you some shots....but our photo gallery is down right now.

Back