Would love some feedback

rjdinsmore

I have recorded several songs in professional studios and am just starting to record and mix on my own. I am new to this mixing thing and would love some feedback on how I can improve.
I am planning on recording real drums (just used loops for this) eventually.
So- what does my mix need?

The song is called "Dein Name ist Leben" (German for "Your name is life"- I am living in Germany and am writing music for my church here).

Thanks for your input.

View attachment Dein Name ist Leben.mp3

IMO, there is a frequency in the upper bass of the vocals that needs to be isolated and scooped. Perhaps bring up the drums a little in volume. Maybe add a touch of reverb on the vocals to give it a little sheen. Maybe think about EQing a touch of highs onto the vocals as well.

All in all nicely done IMO. Good luck!

The vocal and the bass are too dark. For the vocal, try a highpass filter set to about 100 Hz and then tweak it higher to find what sounds best. You might want to scoop some low mids from it as well (350Hz - 450 Hz?) and if that isn't enough, add some highs (3-5K?) or even a high shelf. The bass is not only too dark, it's too loud - turn it down about 3 dB for a start. The sound on the guitar is great. Nice devotional tune.

Back