Would? by Alice in Chains cover

Laynestaley

Newbie Shmewbie
This is by far the hardest cover I've done so far. I did everything by myself. I'd like some comments on the mix and also on the vocals cause I know there are some serious issues there. I know I don't have the best voice and I'm really not that great of a singer but I still thinkl I should be able to get better sounding vocals. Is there any way I could improve them by eq-ing? They sound really cold and flat as they are. I should probably mention that they are recorded through a V-amp, which I'm sure isn't the best preamp for vocals..
I'm about to buy myself a decent mic preamp and a Shure Sm58 along with it. But for now I'd like to know if they could be improved mixwise. Any other comments on the mix are also appreciated.

Nice!

Pretty good job. Everything sounds really good musically. Issues i would resolve are the pitchy spots in the chorus. Very nice verses though. A little more power is needed for the chorus if you are trying for the original vibe. Also i think a little driving guitar in the chorus section is in order, just sounds a bit too clean in my opinion there. Very very nice job so far though. You should do down in a hole. I love that song. If you ever need any drums or want to colab on an A.I.C. tune shoot me a private message. I love Alice In Chains.

Cool man!!!
I love this song and Alice in Chains and I think you have the right sound and feel.
What next? I vote for Rooster!

Nice work

An impressive rendition of a fine song.
I agree that the vocals were a bit pitcjy during the chorus.
But i think thats because youre pushintg out of your range.
So im not sure how to lend a hand there.
Really a good job though.

Great cover!

Musically, it's stellar.

Loved the sound of the bass and guitars... you very-nearly nailed the tone!

The only issues I hear are on the vocals.

It sounds like you needed a pop-filter at the 1:50 to 1:55 mark of the song. There was too much "puhhhh" going on there. Also, you fell off some the notes you were trying to carry after the 2:45 mark, at the end of the song.

Other than that, it was one of the best covers I've ever heard.

Keep up the great work!!! :)

Wow, spooky rendition of the lead guitar tones! In general this is a very accurate cover. It's musically 99% of the way. Vocals aren't 100% but way better than I would expect.

Great job man. You must be an anal retentive bastard to match tones like that!

damn!

Awesome!

man you nailed the guitar parts.

on the AM I WRONG part of the vocals, you just need to work on that part, it's the only glaring problem...specifically where the pitch steps down on the word "wrong"

wow...this is awesome!

-some of you mentioned the vocals on the chorus. As a singer I recommend getting gritty on those parts which helps with pitch a lot. put some throat into it. and double ALL THE VOCALS!

-where's the distortion?

awesome recording. good job.

I agree, some vocal doubling would be pretty effective. There are some pitch issues with the vocals.

As good as the drums are (programmed?) 99% of the time, those tom hits sound off time during the first 3 lines of the choruses.

I would grunge up the guitars in the chorus.

Very nice overall, I love that song.

War

Hey, that was pretty badass!! Really, I've got no different comments from the ones that are already here. Nice work.

God, I miss that band...

bsanfordnyc said:
on the AM I WRONG part of the vocals, you just need to work on that part, it's the only glaring problem...specifically where the pitch steps down on the word "wrong"
Oh yeah, forgot to mention...maybe consider throwing the harmony part that goes on the "wrong" syllable--that'll thicken it up a bit. That might be part of the problem with the pitch issue. It seemed liked you were almost trying to "sing between" the two harmonized notes, if that makes any sense.

This is badass dude.
I'm extremely impressed.
I've covered this song live, but you do it much better.

Back