Would? by Alice in chains cover - second take

Wow....i absolutely love this song.....the drums are amazing ...find it hard to beliele you used fruity loops for them....every time i try to make drums in fruity loops they sound really mechanical and unrealistic...? did you have to get plug ins or just use the drum sounds that come with fruity loops...

I love the bass and guitars in this song too.....sounds really professional

and the vocals are class!!!!

BurnBarfield said:
What kinda amp did you use on the guits?
I used a V-amp2 for all guitars, bass and vocals.
Hope I'll still be taken seriously after admitting this..

famous beagle said:
Will someone please exlain to me the reasoning behind trying to record a cover song and make it sound as much as possible like the original? This doesn't make a single bit of sense to me at all. You haven't done anything to put your stamp on the song at all, and if someone's got the choice of listening to the original version or your "version," they're always going to pick the original because it's always going to sound better.
Recording cover songs is really learnfull to me, in every possible way of recording. It offers insight in song construction, song layers, mixing, mastering etc. and it really learned me how to really listen closely to the music. If I had started by recording my own stuff I never would have gotten as far as I am today.
Second reason; I love doing it. And I just thought I'd share.. :)
I know no one is waiting for cover versions, not even with a personal stamp on them..

lurgan liar said:
Wow....i absolutely love this song.....the drums are amazing ...find it hard to beliele you used fruity loops for them....every time i try to make drums in fruity loops they sound really mechanical and unrealistic...? did you have to get plug ins or just use the drum sounds that come with fruity loops...
I used the tomhicks samples which are free for downloading. Then it's just a matter of programming tweaking the buttons..

scottboyher said:
I think You did a great job! Out of tune on the vocals some times but overall you did a hell of a job man!
Thanks. Those vocals are out of my league. Can't argue there. ;)

Excellent arrangement and mix. Great guitar. Drum part is well done - doesn't come across as artificial. Singer's intonation is really good except when he tries to sing scale passasges quickly, and that's a rare skill anyway. Only real critique is that for a lot of it it’s just a little lacking in low end. Most of the piece doesn't sound, on my system anyway, like there's much there below 100 Hz. The mix would be perfectly balanced, I think, if it had just a little more of that ballsy low end.

EDIT: listened again - change that to "there's low end there, I just want to hear a little more of it."

Tim

Last edited:
famous beagle said:
Will someone please exlain to me the reasoning behind trying to record a cover song and make it sound as much as possible like the original? This doesn't make a single bit of sense to me at all. You haven't done anything to put your stamp on the song at all, and if someone's got the choice of listening to the original version or your "version," they're always going to pick the original because it's always going to sound better.

It takes a LOT of talent to copy it closely.

Silversurfer: I hate to say it, but yours almost gave me a headache. The compression on the guitars was unbearable. In fact, it sounded like the whole mix was breathing and phasing and all kinds of crap. Was it a really poor mp3 conversion or something? Regarding the out of tune vocal spots, the "oohs" in the beginning are a little out of tune, and the first "down in a hole" around 1:42 is pretty out of tune. Other than that, the vocals sounded pretty good, performance-wise. The mix was so squashed; it almost had a mono quality to it.

There's a lot of compression on it, but so far you are the only one who has noticed it, or at least said anything. Appreciate the feedback.

SilverSurfer said:
It takes a LOT of talent to copy it closely.

There's a lot of compression on it, but so far you are the only one who has noticed it, or at least said anything. Appreciate the feedback.

I'll second the compression problem. It's pumping hard and it's annoying. Almost sounds like someone constantly riding the master fader up and down.

HangDawg said:
I'll second the compression problem. It's pumping hard and it's annoying. Almost sounds like someone constantly riding the master fader up and down.

It was done with a RNC and then smoothed out via Adobe.

I'll see if I can correct that.

Thanks.

I was a big alice in chains fan back in the day. I think you both did a good job but have to agree that Would is a little thin in the low end and mids, Down In a Hole has some funky compression going on. I have barely used compression at all so far in my experimentation but I heard it right off.

TravisinFlorida said:
I was a big alice in chains fan back in the day. I think you both did a good job but have to agree that Would is a little thin in the low end and mids, Down In a Hole has some funky compression going on. I have barely used compression at all so far in my experimentation but I heard it right off.

If I don't use compression then it clips everywhere and I can't get the volumes to equal out.

I'll work on it though.

Check out, on my page, Dam That River. You'll probably not like the compression on that one too :D

Back