Would buying a 1.3 Duron be a step backwards?

Erm... yes

I presume then you have a 200FSB mobo

If u are strapped for cash and eg you have burned your previous processor then get it but

1) it's performance is worse than Athlon 1.2 because it lacks the same level 1 cache memory.

2) Its no longer made

3) If u have an opportunity to upgrade a processor then try to get the best value for money processor that your current mobo supports.

4) You can get Athon 200FSB processors very cheaply now as they are no longer made.

5) If you are not strapped for cash and currently have a 200FSB mobo upgrade to a 266FSB mobo and buy a better processor (say 1.9G Athlon XP). Current processors performance/cost ratio is very high!

Are you replacing your fried CPU? The Duron would work, but a replacement Athlon is only $10 more than that. The performance will be similar no matter which you choose.

Slackmaster 2000

It's a 133mhz fsb

I have a 266sfb board being shipped here now, and I also have a ddr pc2100 stick.

The plan was to upgrade to an XP 1800+ when I had the funds, then use the old MOBO, processor and ram to upgrade the family computer.

I currently have two dollars :(

and people owe me money:mad:

No of the places around here sell Athlon 1.2 gigs anymore, none of em, unless I order on-line. I've spent two days doing nothing but searching.

I don't want to get anything worse, I think with this new information, I'll take my sister up on her loan offer. It won't get me a 1.9ghz but at least I can get a 1.5 then upgrade later when these people pay me back.

Will the DURON work with the 133fsb board?

Yes, just at 100Mhz.

Use pricewatch.com to find your CPU. I would VERY MUCH RECOMMEND that you purchase a retail CPU. A retail CPU will have a 3 year warranty, and ship with a stock heatsink/fan directly from AMD. It'll only cost about $15 more than OEM/white box, and you'll spend that easily buying a 3rd party heatsink, and you'll only get a measly 30 day warranty!

Slackmaster 2000

I decided to wait a week, I'll get paid and won't have to borrow as much from my sister. Then I'll get the XP 1800+ When/If I decide to upgrade, I'll get a faster one and put the XP in the other board.

Will the XP run in the 133fsb board?

Yes...if the board will take it. See your motherboard manual for the CPU's it'll take. Also check online, especially in the BIOS updates section for your motherboard, and see if support for more processors has been added.

Slackmaster 2000

I'll pull out the manual now, at least it'll ease my heart for the future.

Ok, I checked it out and it said Athlon and Duron K7 processors.

Last edited:
I just got a donation:)

I'm getting the XP 1800+ probably tomorrow, that's when my new DDR board is supposed to arrive.

But if I want to put the old MOBO in my other computer, that means I can't buy a new XP processor, just an Athlon or Duron?

Once again, it depends on your motherboard. Check the motherboard specs on the manufacturer's website, also check all BIOS update revision texts for added processor support. Almost every motherboard manufacturer will add support for new processors via BIOS updates.

Slackmaster 2000

Just to say that your old mobo is 200Mhz fsb isn't it? That means even if it is supported by a bios upgrade it will not run an xp at it's full speed. For example a 2G Athlon XP would only run at 1.5G ie about 25% slower.

Hey! the new MOBO just got here!

But anyway, I researched till I got sleepy last night and I think I'll stick with an Athlon T-bird when I get a new one for my old board, probably a 1.3 to a 1.5.
Now all I have to do is go get the new XP for the new board.

Might we have a misunderstanding here?

"It's a 133mhz fsb

I have a 266sfb board being shipped here now."

Sorry I assumed he meant he had a board that supported 133Mhz memory but was still a 200 fsb. Otherwise why the upgrade?

Back