Worthwhile amps?

30w is just about enough for anything short of a maniac drummer. Large venues will mic you, you could gig with a pod if you wanted. I've seen guys run into a laptop running sims before.

So, for $300, get something used with a quality clean, add a dirt box of choice, and you're done. Peavey Classic 30 or Valvemaster, Something from Laney or Traynor, the Jet City or Blackheart will all do fine, in addition to many others. Start with a Bad Monkey for dirt, they are a reasonable excuse for a Tubescreamer, and go used for $25-40. If you can run a soldering iron, the Crate V33/V18 can be modded into a dandy, and they go for next to nothing.

Egnater

For around $300 you can try a ZT Lunchbox that has cleans, and some break.
I have heard they sound better out of a 2x12.

The least expensive 15-20 watt tube heads that still sound nice are the Jet City, and the Blackheart. I use an Egnater Tweaker which is a little more expensive with more switches.

I have used a Crate Flexwave with a RP255 for practice, but they are not as well recommended for live performing.

Ive spent many hours online looking for amps and finding out about reviews and how people say things about them in different reports. When I make my list, I have then
narrowed down how many amps I have to plug my new guitar into, to find out what amp I like. So far the new Egnater Rebel 30 seems to be the best of all worlds
in that you can change a tube and get more sustain and different sounds and
it has everying I could want. Have you had a chance to hear one of these live yet, and are you happy enough with your tweaker that the brand is good ?????

If I do get that amp (got to try first), instead of just buying a 2 x 12 cab and speakers from Guitar Center, Im going to order a custom cab that has no speakers
and a convertable back that I can take half off If I like, and then put a mix of
different speakers in the cab. An eminence tonker with a Swamp thing may be it, but
Lopoline is the cab company that has the slant cab in all black I like and they will make it a convertable for an extra 25 bucks.

Thanks for any info on speakers and the rebel 30

Mike

I'm don't understand your reasoning when you specified solid state. Perhaps you were thinking about an amp head rather than a combo. Trying to find a head and cabinet in your price range will be difficult. I strongly suspect that you do not need as much amp as you think you do.

A used Peavey Classic 30 would be a very good choice in your price range but it's a tube combo. It's not the best at anything but it will do most things pretty well, unless you're into serious metal. Great bang for your buck. YMMV

So far the new Egnater Rebel 30 seems to be the best of all worlds
in that you can change a tube and get more sustain and different sounds and
it has everying I could want. Have you had a chance to hear one of these live yet, and are you happy enough with your tweaker that the brand is good ?????
I am happy with the Tweaker, I have not heard a Rebel 30 yet. I think the Rebel 30 is generally higher rated, if you like the Egnater sound, but it has fewer switches.

The Tweaker is rated as a good small/starter amp, and you can still get volume with a 2x12.

Egnater may be coming out with a 40 and 88 watt Tweaker in the spring, something to consider.

Well, I was exactly where you are about 2 years ago. I bought a Randall RX120 halfstack for $500. It's awesome. I am trying to sell it now though to clear up some room (and fill up some pockets). People will say it sucks, but I found it to be perfect for my situation. 3-7-7-3 is amazing when ive got the tone know on my guitar cranked. The Overdrive channel is crisp and crunchy too. Blows away my friends B52 halfstack he bought. I guess cheaper tube amps compared to cheaper solid state amps have more to fail on.

I'm don't understand your reasoning when you specified solid state. Perhaps you were thinking about an amp head rather than a combo. Trying to find a head and cabinet in your price range will be difficult. I strongly suspect that you do not need as much amp as you think you do.

A used Peavey Classic 30 would be a very good choice in your price range but it's a tube combo. It's not the best at anything but it will do most things pretty well, unless you're into serious metal. Great bang for your buck. YMMV

I second this. Also, know that, according to Fender, a tube amp produces about EIGHT TIMES the volume of a same-power rated SS amp. By that measure, you would need a 240-watt SS amp- and you would not get the creamy tube distortion.

Back