Worth upgrade from MR8 to Firebox?

SKYflyer

I have a Fostex MR8 recording device, and I have been considering upgrading to a Firebox. Mainly, I am not completely satisfied with the sound quality of the recordings that the MR8 produces, and additionally, it is harder to work with the MR8 in Sonar because you have to import all the files from the MR8 to the computer after recording them on the MR8.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to a Firebox? Would the sound quality upgrade be noticeable?

Thanks for your input.

PS- I don't do any mixing/effects/etc on the MR8, I simply transfer all of the recordings to Sonar and work with them on the computer.

I have the firepod, which I'd imagine would have the same convertors and preamps as the firebox. It records at upto 24/96, whcih will give you much better resolution than the 16 bit MR8

I've never used an MR8, but my firebox gives crystal clear recordings. If you only need two pre's its a great product. Although I've never used it, the breakout box by creative apparently has pro sounding pre's in it (1212m or something if my memory serves) For the price that product is though, I'd just get a firepod since I could use more preamps.

I have an Mr8 and the pre's in it just suck. I used a mixer for pres when I was using it. I purchased the MaudioFW410 which is a whoooole lot better. I would think the Firebox would be a nice step up in quality and you wouldn't have to worry about running out of space on you memory card.

Thanks for the comments guys, I want to be sure that I will be satisfied with the increased quality should I purchase a Firebox. I guess the better preamps in it along with the 24 bit audio should be a good step up from the MR8.

Back