worth a try

kojdogg said:
Also it's generally not a good idea to record directly onto your boot drive if you can avoid it. If your computer will support two drives, you may want to add a second drive for audio and route your DAW software to record to that. Make sure you defrag your audio drive (or whatever you're using now) often as audio recording puts huge chunks of data, moves them around, deletes them (e.g. "undo recording") and which puts much more of a strain on the hard drive than every day uses.

i'm recording onto my tascam dp-01 then exporting to my pc.

i really just want the editing and mixing features of cakewalk.......plug-ins too.

I also have a Dell dimension. Be careful what RAM you buy. Dells can be funny that way. Make sure it will work in a Dell. When I first upgraded mine I bought some that did not work. Crucial will work in a Dell, and also PNY. PNY is available at Staples. I have 2 sticks of 128 I will give you if you like, (PM if interested) but I think you'd be better off buying two sticks of 256 and bumping it up to 512. Also, external hard drives have gotten much cheaper in recent times, so that may be an option also.

I have a PIII, just under a gig processor, with 512, and I do fine with it running Cakewalk GTpro 3. Even with a dreaded usb interface AND usb 2 hard drive. So these guys are right, it can be done on a PIII.

turtlishous said:
any reason for that, and should i go with ide?

Only reason not to go SATA, is that you would have to buy a PCI card that has the proper connections on it, I have never priced one of those but I bet that would be another $15-$20. And another PCI slot filled in your computer. Just make sure you have two IDE connectors (you can connect two devices to each connector, so you would have your two hard drives and one CD/R or DVD/R or what ever you do have) on the mother board and get a ATA 100/133 drive.

Hope that makes sense...

yeah i think i get it.......there is a big ribbon coming from the drive i have now, and in the middle of it there is another empty connection. there are also two connections besides that via 5 or so wires. one from the drive and one from the cd-rw.

am i driving you nuts with this crash course tutorial that your givin me?

there are also two connections besides that via 5 or so wires. one from the drive and one from the cd-rw.

I think you are describing the power connectors. There is probably an extra one or two of those coming off the power supply to hook up an extra hard drive.

yep ...i think your right.

so after a little more surfin thru the web i'm getting the idea that i want to get an ATA drive.....

one other thing......could i just use one 512 stick instead of using 2 256's?

i promise i'm gonna let this tread die after this Q:)

Two 256 sticks MAY have better combatiblilty but that is not a for sure. If the 512 stick is cheaper and double sided I would feel comfortable with it. If its more expensive don't waste the money.

Back