worried about ma baby

callipygian

So,
my stupidity has hit its zenith.
I left my $400 Studio Projects C3 in its stand for the past couple days, because I've been using it off and on. So, the cable attaching it to my mixer runs behind my chair, and the wheels kept bumping into it, and that's not good I imagine, so I went to move it. This, in turn, sent my stand crashing to the couch then to the floor, slighty bending the upper casing and knocking the top right off of the mic. It was about a 4 foot drop in total. So, after screaming out some swears and sweating tears from all pores, I put humpty dumpty back together again, and with aching muscles tested her out. I looked at the diaphragm, no apparent cracks or anything. I switched to all of the patterns, yadda yadda, the mic still reproduces sound without any noticeable strange sounds being added, which is a good thing.

What I'm wondering, which is my question to you all, is regardless of the fact that it still seems to work fine, do you think
that this dreadful fall would change the mic's quality of sound?
Like, the frequency response, sensitivity, etc.?

I probably (hopefully) will never notice any difference, but I'm just curious.

In conclusion, I know I'm a freaking idiot, especially since similar, less harsh events have happened before and I didn't learn the first time round. This time I've learned my lesson, which should have been automatic via common sense, and I discourage anyone from replying simply to emphasize the fact that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I know.

Contact SP, when Alan was around here he fixed a couple mics that had suffered dumb accidents, for cheap or free and claimed that it was their normal customer service proceedure. SP's service reputation became a big selling point around here because of that so I'd be interested in seeing if it's still that good.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hello again,

Thanx for your replies guys.
Vox, I would take your advice and contact SP, but I just picked up
the mic and was recording some acoustic guitar with vox,
and actually got the recording to sound better than ever.
So, on the slight chance that this recent knock-around actually made the mic sound better, I choose to keep 'er as she floats : þ.
Haha....what if, eh?

I'm only half serious, it's probably due to the fact that for once I actually found the right spot in the room, with the right chair to make playing comfortable, whereas before I wasn't trying to capture the room's ambience, I was sitting on uncomfortable chairs or couches with the mic right in my face, and my body positioned so awkwardly I might as well have been a fetus.

: )

Funny I should happen upon this...

I tried for days to record a new guitar part. I could play it perfectly whenever the "tape" wasn't rolling, but then I would totally hose it once I started recording.

I changed chairs, and FM (f**king magic) kicked in.

I recorded the track 3X without flaw (at least only small flaws) in about an hour.

the moral of the story:

Your ass and hands are in cohoots.

callipygian said:
So,
my stupidity has hit its zenith.
I left my $400 Studio Projects C3 in its stand for the past couple days, because I've been using it off and on. So, the cable attaching it to my mixer runs behind my chair, and the wheels kept bumping into it, and that's not good I imagine, so I went to move it. This, in turn, sent my stand crashing to the couch then to the floor, slighty bending the upper casing and knocking the top right off of the mic. It was about a 4 foot drop in total. So, after screaming out some swears and sweating tears from all pores, I put humpty dumpty back together again, and with aching muscles tested her out. I looked at the diaphragm, no apparent cracks or anything. I switched to all of the patterns, yadda yadda, the mic still reproduces sound without any noticeable strange sounds being added, which is a good thing.

What I'm wondering, which is my question to you all, is regardless of the fact that it still seems to work fine, do you think
that this dreadful fall would change the mic's quality of sound?
Like, the frequency response, sensitivity, etc.?

I probably (hopefully) will never notice any difference, but I'm just curious.

In conclusion, I know I'm a freaking idiot, especially since similar, less harsh events have happened before and I didn't learn the first time round. This time I've learned my lesson, which should have been automatic via common sense, and I discourage anyone from replying simply to emphasize the fact that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I know.
I'm sure it wasn't good for the mic... call the manufacture, I read they have a good suppport team.

Back