Workstation vs. rack/controller

johnny5dm

I tried to jump on another thread, but it was suggested that I start a new one instead.

I'm in the market for my first synth, but I really want to buy something that will LAST. Basically, future longevity is key. My requirements:

- I need something that works as a piano. I.E., it's got to feel like a piano - fully weighted keys, good response, that sort of thing. It also has to sound as good as it can for the money. This is really near the top of my list of requirements.

- I want something that will be easily expandable. Be it plug-in cards, rack samplers, whatever.

- I like the idea of a workstation that has everything in easier-to-use setups and controls, but I also like the idea of getting more sounds for the money, as you would with rack samplers and a controller.

My budget tops out at around $3000 or so, I'd say, which is enough for a Motif ES or Roland Fantom, or both if I go with the rack versions.

I do have a good DAW, so recording in the keyboard isn't that huge of a deal to me.

I've thought about using a rackmount rig live as a backing track whilst playing drums or guitar... but I'm not familiar with how to set that up. Is that just programming a rackmount sequencer and hooking it up?

So what do you guys think? Is the convenience/user friendliness of a workstation worth it? What about the extra features that are included? Or should I just go with the controller/rackmount method to get the most sounds for the money?

Thanks!

jon

Oh, and if you feel like chiming in on the whole Motif ES vs. Fantom X debate... I'm curious to hear it :) (for your reference, I'm mostly wanting good piano and string sounds, but everything is a factor here)

Roland's best piano sounds are in the SRX-11 (not the SRX-02) expansion cards and the best strings are in the SRX-06 (not the SRX-04, which sounds not as good in a mix as it does solo).

Korgs tend to have a higher frequency response - the Rolands tend to disappear around 12 kHz.

I started buying Korgs in 1976, and Rolands in 1979, so I have no real preference.

For recording I now prefer Roland rack gear - the Korgs have more treble cut, but it's harder to get the Korg sounds to "sit in the mix". It's like some Korg sounds are 30 feet away and others are 3 inches away. Roland sounds are pretty homogenous straight out of the box.

To me, personally, I would *always* go with the controller that feels best for you, and mix and match rack modules.

My controller remains my constant when I move from one module to another. I have felt no need to purchase a keyboard version of a synth.

You could get the Motif ES and a StudioLogic controller for ~$1500.
You could then still add in another module.

Just my $0.02.

if you're looking at Roland gear, compare the Fantom pianos to all the SRX and RD3/700SX stuff... difference between day and night in my book, you may prefer one or t'other

If you don't need a workstation then a controller/module seems the logical route... but it may just boil down to what feels right to play... I'm not convinced about controlling a sound module for live gigs (relying on midi under pressure :eek: ) a single stage piano where the controller/velocity sensitivity/piano samples are tested as one unit has its advantages

With your budget you can have the best of both worlds. I would recommend a Motif ES8 along with a Fantom XR (rack). The Motif has excellent bread and butter sounds and could cover most of the sounds you need. The Fantom will give you a good compliment to the Motif with its expansion boards. The reason I suggest the Motif for your controller is that it has 4 sliders and 4 knobs that can be used to control not only your sounds in the Motif, but on your Rack as well. The Motif also has a Master Mode that allows you to patch thru Voices (single voice mode), Performances (multiple voices used together with drums, etc..), Patterns (comprised of 16 midi tracks, eight of which can have their own insert effects), and Songs (complete songs recroded like a linear recorder.)

You can accomplish just about anything you need with this set up not be in lack of any sound you need.

i second the call for the XR instead of the x8. you can get an xr on ebay for 800-900 and the preset piano sound is amazing. match that up with your favorite controller and you're in under budget.

one other advantage with this setup is if someone spills beer on your keybaord then you just have to make them buy you a new controller which is a lot less expensive :)

Back