Working with external compressor into DAW

shoeflytree

Hey, I was wondering if there is any way to use an external compressor without the use of a mixer. Is it possible to use the digital mixer supplied with the DAW and some how route out the sends to the compressor?

Hey, I was wondering if there is any way to use an external compressor without the use of a mixer. Is it possible to use the digital mixer supplied with the DAW and some how route out the sends to the compressor?

Yup. Which DAW do you have it should be all explained in the manual.

Or you could use something like the TwinQ from Joe Meek! Take a google at that unit!

I use Reaper, and have used ProTools a lot, Logic and Cubase a little. They all work the same for this...

1) output the track you wanna compress to one of your interface's outputs, 2) plug that output in to the compressor's input, 3) plug the compressor's output into one of your interface's inputs, 4) make a new track for the compressed audio and tell it to input from input your compressor is outputting to. Clear as mud?

Track -> compressor input
compressor output - > new track

It might help for some of you to explain exactly where he needs to cut the cable on his USB microphone to connect the wires to the compressor.

I mean, no matter which DAW you're using it don't mean sh*t unless you can connect the wires in the right places, does it.

And did it not occur to anyone to ask shoeflytree, who just joined this month and for whom this is his first post, why he thinks he needs an external compressor in the first place?

It might help for some of you to explain exactly where he needs to cut the cable on his USB microphone to connect the wires to the compressor.

I mean, no matter which DAW you're using it don't mean sh*t unless you can connect the wires in the right places, does it.

And did it not occur to anyone to ask shoeflytree, who just joined this month and for whom this is his first post, why he thinks he needs an external compressor in the first place?

Nah, I chose to answer the question he asked. I apologize for being an idiot and bow to your superior intellect.

Back