Working on some DIY Bass Traps - Need Opinions

Acousticles

Student Loans Fund Rawk
I'm working on building some broadband bass traps. The plan is to build a frame from wood, cut some holes on the sides, fill with insulation, and upholster. As these are just going to be a temporary solution and cheap is of the utmost importance, I've decided to forgo the standard 703 treatment and go with something cheaper and more local. Did a little research and found some I thought may work.

Any of these a definite no-go or winner?

Shop Roxul ROXUL SAFE-N-SOUND 16 OCWS: COVERS 59.7 SQFT. at Lowes.com

Shop Johns Manville 64 Sq. Ft. R-38 Fiberglass Insulation at Lowes.com [would have to remove the backing from this one probably]

Owens Corning R30 Unfaced 9-1/2 in. x 15 in. x 25 ft. Continuous Roll Insulation - 459190 at The Home Depot

Owens Corning R30 9-1/2 in. x 15 in. x 25 ft. R30 Fiberglass Unfaced Insulation Roll - 511074 at The Home Depot

The only one I would even consider using would be the Roxul. The last three are fluffy batts. Great for thermal insulation, but not really intended for sound absorption, UNLESS you want to leave it in the bag (compressed) and stack them in your corners (kind of a waste of space IMO). With that said, Roxul makes products even better suited to your needs... you just can't get it at the home centers. But fear not- if you live anywhere near any kind of civilized area, there will be lots of commercial material supplier that have the good stuff. And, it probably wont even cost you anymore. You just have to find the places is all. I think the best stuff Roxul makes is called Roxul Safe. This is the stuff Roxul Safe® . You're looking for places that sell to commercial contractors. Its a safe bet that if they sell metal studs then they'll have this.

Back