Working on a post-rock mix for a friend

I would cut the very high end on drums (overheads) - little too bright for me.
That guitar, that comes in 0:53 is... muddy? phasey? out of tune? I really have trouble defining it, but I'm really sure most of problems start from that guitar. :D

And of course getting the timing right on tambourine would be great.

Don't get me wrong, that seems not to be bad song, but that guitar... :facepalm:

The guy that came in to record it insisted on only single tracking it, and I really wanted to pan it (leaving it dead center made it difficult to hear it over everything else in center, even after some EQing), so you may be hearing phase as a result of the ghetto "doubling" technique we all learn when we first start. I just delayed the thing and sent one right, one left.
He also doesn't want to use any bass. I've filtered out a bit of the bottom for the guitar, but if I filter too much more, there won't be any low end contributing at all! xD
I'm not sure what the problem is. He tuned up using a real tuner (not by ear) before hand, so I doubt it's that. He has a TON of reverb on the thing coming straight from his amp, which may be part of the problem you're hearing.
I've got no clue, maybe some other HR members can shed some light on what the problem could be with it?

The guy that came in to record it insisted on only single tracking it, and I really wanted to pan it (leaving it dead center made it difficult to hear it over everything else in center, even after some EQing), so you may be hearing phase as a result of the ghetto "doubling" technique we all learn when we first start. I just delayed the thing and sent one right, one left.
You could try duplicating the track, panning the tracks to L and R and just eq them differently.

I'd cut the low end of the "hell-guitar" and try to get some bass out of that other guitar part (harmonizer/octaver pedals(emulations) and eq)

Back