Work I'm very proud of. Nearing completion. (new / heavy)

Sorry, I can't offer anything constructive. It sounds perfect to me, I wouldn't change anything. Drums have more punch than Foreman, guitars, vocals all right where they should be. Very cool tune too. What was your recording chain?

:cool:Lovin' it!

Definitely hear the Chevelle/SOAD...not so much the Mudvayne nor Tool though....

NEVERTHELESS VERY EFFIN' KEWL!

Less fat if you use a Foreman Grill!
Well recorded but as a song it's a little too derivitive for me - sounds like Iggy pop's beginning to TV Eye grafted onto a Tool reject.
The snare is right between the eyes - good aim.
Nice bass definition too - was that DI'd?

That is a awsome recording. Please share how you did it. What equipment did you use. A million dollar studio right ?

If I had one critique, and again keep in mind it sounds different on my computer as yours and everyone elses.

COuld the vocal track be a little too loud? That is the ONLY thing.

Probably the best recording Ive heard in a long time mayeb ever.

What was your recording chain?
SCA N72 and A12 preamps for most everything into a MOTU 24i or 1224.
Vox had a Distressor as well.
Less fat if you use a Foreman Grill!
Well recorded but as a song it's a little too derivitive for me - sounds like Iggy pop's beginning to TV Eye grafted onto a Tool reject.
The snare is right between the eyes - good aim.
Nice bass definition too - was that DI'd?
The bass is not DI'd. I did record a DI, but didn't use it.
It was a Warwick Corvette > Mesa ImPulse600 > Fender 1x15 cab (aluminum dustcap)> Audix I5 aimed edge of dustcap > SCA N72.
That is a awsome recording. Please share how you did it. What equipment did you use. A million dollar studio right ?

If I had one critique, and again keep in mind it sounds different on my computer as yours and everyone elses.

COuld the vocal track be a little too loud? That is the ONLY thing.

Probably the best recording Ive heard in a long time mayeb ever.
Thanks for the kind words (everybody else too). The studio is worth maybe $10k if I'm lucky lol. But that's all I need. :cool: You're the 1st person to say the vox seem too loud. I've kept it in mind though.

I can understand you being proud...this is AWESOME! Big league stuff! It does make a difference recording good musicians, though, doesn't it? If all your recordings sound this good, you're blessed with natural talent and great ears!

Wish ya all the best!;)

Hey thanks JoeyM. :D

Here is the newest version of the song: Question B9 version 2

Guitars up a bit, snare down a bit. A little more automation on the vocals. And a very slightly different EQ curve and compression threshold on the master.

The studio is worth maybe $10k if I'm lucky lol.

It's not what you've got - it's how you use it. Clearly...you understand that fundamental principle that a lot of people struggle with accepting.

Tell us about what mics or combinations of mics were used on what - that's the only thing you left out of your description of signal chains.

P.S. Good job!

Excellent!

This recording sounds flat - I mean that in a good way. The tonal balance is right on to me.
Outstanding job on the drums too.

Good smoking crispy guitars. Vocals work with and not against the mix.
Seriously excellent work.

Tight sounding band too with some apparent skill with songwriting. I like 'em.

Sounding excellent! This falls into the "i'd buy that" category for me.. Let us know when it's released.

Thank you, thank you all. :o if you sincerely like the band, check out their MySpace. They had their account hacked and all their friends deleted. So befriend them too. There is some other music on there too from the album I recorded with them in 2005.

It is a HUGE part of the sound recording a band that can write good music, play their instruments, and can sing with sincere emotion as well as scream. It's a bonus that they put on an amazing live show.
My real hope is to do a good enough job to get these guys signed to a record label with good distribution. The band is deserving on so many levels.

I suppose I should mention that I did all Engineering / Mixing / Mastering / and half producer credits along with the band.
Oh, I should also mention that if you like this song, the rest of the songs on this record will blow you away. :eek:

Mics:
I mic most everything with more than one mic. BUT I always only use one of the mics. I like the option, but rarely both. I prefer to leave out as much possible phase issues as possible. Except I did use 2 mics on the guitar cab.

What I list here are mics that I used in the mix.

Vox: CAD M177 pad/filter engaged

Guitar: 2x SM57 Fredman style. Placing these is important that they never be moved. I iused the same micing on the same cab for all guitar tracks. Even then I did some correction by nudging a track a few samples.

Bass: Audix i5

Drums:
Kick: Triggered
Snare: SM57 top / CAD M177 bottom
Over Heads: CAD e70 XY pattern
Toms: You're not going to believe me.... Takstar 6100's.

So... that tom mic is my cat out of the bag. I tried them out a while ago and fond them quite useful for toms. Especially for the price. Technically speaking, they cannot handle the SPL of toms. But for aggressive music, they clip ever so slightly and give some nice harmonics right on the attack. After the attack, they have very smooth low-end. The S/N ratio of those mics is pretty sub-par too. But when pushed to their max the ratio is quite high. You can compress the tom tracks and the noise floor stays low. However with toms I automate the tracks and duck out everything but the tom hits.

Back