Wordclock problems arggh!

Scriabin

Hello,
Today I purchased a lucid genx6 to improve the quality of my vxpocket converters. I used the breakout cable from the vxpocket soundcard and ran the spdif-in into the word input on the lucid. Then I ran the spdif-out into the output of the lucid. I switched the clock source on the vxpocket to use the external clock coming from the genx6.
However, when I open up Logic 5, it will not recognize the external the clock source. I opened up the preference dialog in Logic but it will not let me scroll down to select an external clock source in the options. I tried to record with it anyhow and I had considerable latency and a very degraded signal.
Furthermore, when I tried to playback some projects it would play incredibly slowly. The ASIO-drivers make alot of noise when switched over to the external clock.
What is the deal with this? I tried another sequencing program but had no luck there either.
I'd appreciate any help at all:)

Zack

I don't understand............ the Lucid uses BNC connectors to supply word clock OUT........... It alone should be clocking all other devices in the signal chain by connecting the OUTs on the Lucid to the WORD CLOCK INPUTS on your other digital devices.

This has nothing to do with S/PDIF at all............... word clock is a timing signal only, it doesn't carry digital audio......... digital audio connections should NEVER be connected to word clock I/O!

This is true. Does whatever device you're trying to clock have a dedicated word clock input?

you can use the AES outputs to deliver a wordclock signal but you'll need a aes to spdif converter...

there's some good ones here

www.lynxstudio.com

click on products you'll see a bunch of sound cards then cables go to cables

Teacher said:
you can use the AES outputs to deliver a wordclock signal but you'll need a aes to spdif converter...
I guess that's true too.... devices down the chain could derive the clock from the AES/EBU signal... not sure if that's as accurate as using the BNC outputs to each device independently though....

Blue Bear Sound said:
I guess that's true too.... devices down the chain could derive the clock from the AES/EBU signal... not sure if that's as accurate as using the BNC outputs to each device independently though....

probably not as jitter free...but with just one device and short cable run probably not to much of a problem..i'd think

Back