Wooden cones

Wayon

So, I recentlly heard some JVC bookshelf speakers with wooden cones. I was quite impressed. I'm looking for monitors and of course the sales guy says that these things are the shit. They sound very nice but I'm wondering what's wrong with them.

Does anybody have any info/experience with these?

Thanks

I have heard about these, although haven't heard them in person.

I'd imagine they'd have a nice bark in the low end and a fine grain in the higher frequency range. :p

Anyone remember those Fostex studio monitors from the 1980s whose woofer cones were made out of banana peels?

I have heard about these, although haven't heard them in person.

I'd imagine they'd have a nice bark in the low end and a fine grain in the higher frequency range. :p

I'll bet they sound tree-mendous. You'll never leave the studio--and if you do, you'll just pine away for that sound.

A few years ago there was an audio company selling wooden knobs for stereos at about $500 a set...they might go well with the wooden cones. ;)

Not sure if it was jall ust a goof...but here's some info:

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/07/astronomically-overp.html

200511071155.jpg

"Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect…really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!"

A few years ago there was an audio company selling wooden knobs for stereos at about $500 a set...they might go well with the wooden cones. ;)

Not sure if it was jall ust a goof...but here's some info:

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/07/astronomically-overp.html

200511071155.jpg

"Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect…really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!"

WT...? I mean SERIOUSLY! Tell me some idiot didn't actually buy these in hopes of "natural sound" and "Good Vibrations"... uh... sounds like a great name for a dildo company :p

So, I recentlly heard some JVC bookshelf speakers with wooden cones. I was quite impressed. I'm looking for monitors and of course the sales guy says that these things are the shit. They sound very nice but I'm wondering what's wrong with them.

Does anybody have any info/experience with these?

Thanks

So watch out or termites!

You can see by the nature of responses that there is some skepticism.

It could be just a cute gimmick.

There may be something more to it. I, too, remain skeptical.

Back