woo hoo...I figured out the dropbox thing! Is this too much reverb?

sharonclowe

ok, here's another version of the "Hero" song (and I realize it's not the kind of thing most of you guys are into, lol....but I would still appreciate your opinions since I'm so new at this.) This version was done by the same friend who did the "Finally" song, but here he used a lot of reverb. I think the song is almost too sleepy. What do you think?

PS...please ignore my obnoxious and glaring guitar TWANGS throughout the song. I was having a bit of an off day, :laughings: and just wanted to get this thing recorded in time for my dad's b-day.

Sharon

It's hard to say (nice song by the way). I think I'd have to hear a version with less reverb and compare. For this kind of song, the reverb is nice and I don't think it's too much. But, I wonder if a more "intimate" mix would suit it just as well.

Reminds me a bit of "Going to California" by Zeppelin. That tune has a drier vocal for most of the song, but also has parts drenched in reverb. You might want to go that route, too.

It's really a matter of preference and comes down to what YOU prefer. But, if the question is "Is there too much reverb?", I'd answer "no".

:cool:

Nope - not too much reverb, but, try a version with a hair less reverb...

Really pretty song - not "sleepy" - your Dad will love it regardless... :cool:

Is the essing a result of or exaggerated by the reverb? If Y then Yes too much. If N then deal with it & NO it suits the voice well.
Lovely song.

for comparison's sake...here is the other version, less reverb (and in a different key and faster tempo). This one was recorded by another friend with a completely different set up. He added bass and a rhythm guitar to my picking. I've already been told the bass is too loud (and I think there may be too much going on, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings :o)

(does "essing" mean when you can hear too much of the "s" sound in certain words? Whew...so much new terminology for me to learn!!)

I like 'em both. The one in the first post is cleaner and perhaps more suitable given the material, but I really like the harmony vocals on the 2nd version.

No, I don't think there is too much reverb on the 1st one. The slower and mellower the tune, the more verb can play a useful role from my limited experience. There is a lot there to be sure, but too much?...nope.

Yes to ess - sibilance - hissy stuff. OFTEN reverb will accentuate this or even initiate it. You can use a "de esser" (spitfish from the free fish fillets suit) there are many around. The other option is very fine, precise EQing.

ok, here's another version of the "Hero" song (and I realize it's not the kind of thing most of you guys are into, lol....but I would still appreciate your opinions since I'm so new at this.) This version was done by the same friend who did the "Finally" song, but here he used a lot of reverb. I think the song is almost too sleepy. What do you think?

PS...please ignore my obnoxious and glaring guitar TWANGS throughout the song. I was having a bit of an off day, :laughings: and just wanted to get this thing recorded in time for my dad's b-day.

Sharon

I dont think it has to much verb at all. But what did you to for the vocals? did you put a delay?

I prefer the second version, as I think there's too much effect on the first vocal. The second version seems more 'honest'. The vocal seems to get just a hair too loud on the sustained note when the backing vox kick in. Great vocal btw. Nice tune too

I definitely prefer version 2 with the harmonies and less wetter reverb.
Lovely voice and wonderful song. :)

Definitely like the 2nd version better. Couldn't get through the first one. Glad you had the 2nd up so I can hear how good this song is.

With a song like this, the honesty in the voice has to be there and not hidden behind gimmicks and effects. The harmonies are done well.

I don't think the bass is too loud. That could be a product of your listening environment.

Welcome to the site and be sure to post more of this stuff!!!

Definitely like the 2nd version better. Couldn't get through the first one....The harmonies are done well....Welcome to the site and be sure to post more of this stuff!!!

thanks Chili! I appreciate your honesty too about not liking version #1...I'm glad you clicked the stop button rather suffering needlessly :D I did post another song (under the heading of "Epic Fail this Afternoon")...but I guess with an intro like that you might need a lot of encouragement to go check it out! It is very nice to meet you.

i like the reverb, but it might use a little high damping.

BigRedHotDog...hmmm, that's an interesting name! lol. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am very new to a lot of this recording terminology, so I will go educate myself about whatever "damping" means! I think I will learn more if I independently try figuring out what some of the jargon means, rather than expecting to be spoon fed. My musical vocabulary has recently been enriched with the addition of "reverb", "delay", and "sibilance" (esssspecially impressssed with mysssself on that one! lol).

I prefer the second version, as I think there's too much effect on the first vocal. The second version seems more 'honest'. The vocal seems to get just a hair too loud on the sustained note when the backing vox kick in. Great vocal btw. Nice tune too

Hi Bulls...you are right about that loud sustained note! I think I can have my buddy tone it down there...or is the level just stuck the same throughout? I think what happens is that most of the time I'm not very confident about my singing, but every now and then I'll get to a note I really like and I'll loosen up a little too much! I will try to be more consistent with volume.

I think this second recording sounds better... :o

Hi JediMaster....thanks for checking it out!

OK....from now on version one of the Hero song will only be used in elevators, nursing homes, and dentists' offices!

This is a great song. I like both versions of it. The best part about the first version you posted is it is just more natural to how I feel the song. It also sounds a little like a Fleetwood Mac style. You have an awesome voice by the way.

The second version does maybe sound a little better because it has more instruments and is maybe better performed. I liked the key of the first one better though. I'm not sure why, but I like it better.

Did you decide that you liked your voice better with the second key or something or why did you change keys on the song? Just wondering. Great voice and both takes were very nice to listen to. :)

Trump

Did you decide that you liked your voice better with the second key or something or why did you change keys on the song? Just wondering. Great voice and both takes were very nice to listen to. :)

Trump

Hi Trump...thanks for listening to both versions. And thanks for the complement about my singing. :D usually when I play out with my daughter, she gets all the glory b/c she sings way better than I can....and of course my 17 yr old son thinks I'm only a few steps away from "sucks out loud"....so it feels great to hear encouragement! As far as changing the key of the song...it's as simple as moving the capo around. I'm sorely lacking in music theory so I always joke with my friends...let's do this in the "key of 3" or the "key of 2". Like you, I prefer the "key of 2" which is what the first version (aka...sleepy elevator version) is in b/c I feel like I start sounding like a 12yr old in the higher "key of 3". Sometimes I just forget which fret I was supposed to put the capo on...I think that's how I ended up doing them differently. I'm so looking forward to setting up something here in my house and then I can redo things as much as I'd like.

Wow, night and day.
Is there a complete change in tracking? (There seems to be a change from a stereo track on vocal to a mono one on the second)
I want to know that information because the second is good but the first actually is not so good - does the mere wrong application of effects do that much damage to a song? Or, is it in our tracking and closer attention to mic work from the start?

lovely song...very very nice...definitely the second version...I dont hear any problems with reverb

I really like the melody and playing, i can hear strings coming in after the second chorus, just a quartet..would take this to another level...though in truth its there anyway

well done

Wow, night and day.
Is there a complete change in tracking? (There seems to be a change from a stereo track on vocal to a mono one on the second)
I want to know that information because the second is good but the first actually is not so good - does the mere wrong application of effects do that much damage to a song? Or, is it in our tracking and closer attention to mic work from the start?

Hello NZ...nice to meet you and thank you for listening to the song. Unfortunately, your questions are way over my head, :laughings:. I could try to find the specific answer, but that would take me forever. I think I understand what you are getting at though, so I can try to explain why the two are so different. The two versions were recorded by two different friends of mine. The first one, I told him "load it up with effects"...b/c I usually don't like the way my voice sounds. However, since hearing both end results, I've finally been convinced that there is such a thing as too much effect. Both friends are fairly skilled when it comes to recording "stuff" (and I sound almost exactly the same whenever I sing this, so I'm sure it had nothing to do with the mics)...so I would say, YES, absolutely...the wrong application of effects can "do that much damage"....

lovely song...very very nice...definitely the second version...I dont hear any problems with reverb

I really like the melody and playing, i can hear strings coming in after the second chorus, just a quartet..would take this to another level...though in truth its there anyway

well done

Hi KC...awwww, bless your heart :D you sat through another of my acoustic renderings!!! See, this is why I want to learn to do this stuff on my own...I could redo the song (in the key of "2" where I am more comfortable), redo the harmonies, remove the excess effects, and voilà...everybody is happy! ('Cept I forgot about that little minor detail of me needing to learn to play the bass line in version two....:eek:)

how do you figure the quartet is there already though? just curious.

Back