Wondering if my voice sounds any good

alic1124

I've always loved singing but I've never known if my voice sounds any good so please give me some feedback! I'm always afraid to sing in front of people because I feel like my voice doesn't have a nice tone/sound to it and I feel like it sounds annoying or something. I apologize for my sound quality, I don't have a proper mic and I'm just getting over a cold so my voice may sound a little congested so bear that in my mind! Thanks in advance :)

Madelyn by ali1123 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I've always loved singing but I've never known if my voice sounds any good so please give me some feedback! I'm always afraid to sing in front of people because I feel like my voice doesn't have a nice tone/sound to it and I feel like it sounds annoying or something. I apologize for my sound quality, I don't have a proper mic and I'm just getting over a cold so my voice may sound a little congested so bear that in my mind! Thanks in advance :)

Your voice sounds very nice, to me. Very natural and enjoyable to listen to.
The manufactured diphthong...not so much. I find that very annoying, but maybe I'm getting old.

Are you planning to gear up and do some nice clean recordings?

Your voice is not annoying, by any means. I also enjoyed this. With a proper mic and less noise you should hear great improvement in quality.

Your voice sounds very nice, to me. Very natural and enjoyable to listen to.
The manufactured diphthong...not so much. I find that very annoying, but maybe I'm getting old.

Are you planning to gear up and do some nice clean recordings?

Would you be able to explain what diphthong means? I've never heard that word before! And I've always liked the idea of making covers but never thought I was good enough. What kind of gear would you recommend? I just recorded this quickly one night on my old laptop's voice memo app but I do have a microphone. It's a Blue Yeti Nano which was purchased for my computer awhile back though so I doubt that would do the trick for recording instrumentals and vocals but correct me if I'm wrong!

Your voice is not annoying, by any means. I also enjoyed this. With a proper mic and less noise you should hear great improvement in quality.

Thanks for the reply! I just recorded this on my laptop's voice memo app because I was just looking for feedback on my voice but I would be sure to make it higher quality if I was gonna post a cover or anything!

Would you be able to explain what diphthong means?!
It's the sound of two vowels together. When someone says toy, they say too-eee.
There's a popular trend of manufacturing these as you do in 'God' (goid) and 'us' (ois).

I suppose I shouldn't criticise too hard. Everyone's doing it. I just happen to hate it! :laughings:

And I've always liked the idea of making covers but never thought I was good enough.

You are, and you should. :) Do you write, too?

What kind of gear would you recommend? I just recorded this quickly one night on my old laptop's voice memo app but I do have a microphone. It's a Blue Yeti Nano which was purchased for my computer awhile back though so I doubt that would do the trick for recording instrumentals and vocals but correct me if I'm wrong!

The Yeti probably wouldn't be recommended if you just turned up with a budget and a dream, but it should be good enough for starting off.
Certainly it should be cleaner and clearer than the laptop recording.

If you prefer to play and sing simultaneously and want some degree of separation between instrument and voice for editing/manipulating,
then multiple mics would be preferable in the long run.

Whether that's your preference or not, I guess you could start out with the yeti and experiment, and see how it goes.

Your clip sounds quite roomy so maybe consider recording in a room with more dense material...furniture, a loaded bookshelf..something like that,
although I guess if the attached clip was recorded on a laptop it probably wasn't very close; Distance/position alone makes a big difference.

It's the sound of two vowels together. When someone says toy, they say too-eee.
There's a popular trend of manufacturing these as you do in 'God' (goid) and 'us' (ois).

I suppose I shouldn't criticise too hard. Everyone's doing it. I just happen to hate it! :laughings:

No...you're not the only one. I can't stand singers who do that very intentionally...and in the last few years, it's became somewhat commonplace...so it wasn't just one or two singers doing it "naturally", rather it's become a "style"...but IMO a very annoying one.

To the OP...your voice sounds good, keep at it...and I bet you're doing the diphthong stuff unintentionally, and probably picked it up just from hearing other singers doing it a lot. Try to avoid it, and just sing vowels in the similar way as when speaking...let your voice come out, not some vocal effect.

It's almost as annoying to hear as the R&B/Hip Hop singers who are STILL doing the autotune "chirp" as a stylistic effect, which is sooooo been-there-done-it-DEAD!!! :D

In some ways it was a relief to (recently) find out that it's a global trend.
Prior to that, I was only aware of one person who did it and she was local, to me. It confused the life out of me for a while! :p

In some ways it was a relief to (recently) find out that it's a global trend.

It's trendy in that Alt Pop genre, which I don't really follow, so I can't tell you specifically the singers that do it...but every time a song comes on the radio where a singer does it, it's like a stab in my ears...I can pick up on it right away, and I don't know why it annoys me so much, but it really does. :D

There is a song with a female vocalist where a lot of the rhymes are based on the words "there" and "here"...etc...and she sings all of them like "thee-a-rrre" hee-a-rrre", with added "rrr"...and if I was I the room with her, I would slap her and tell her to please sing normally. :p

Have no idea who she is or the song (maybe someone here will make the connection)...but there are also others, and also a few male vocalists doing the same shit in a very exaggerated way. Not sure where/why that started...it's kinda like that stupid "vocal fry" thing that so many young women do for some strange reason.
It's specific not just to a certain music genre, but I think also to a generation.

Back