wobbling reel on TSR-8

Milkfaj

When I fastforward or rewind on my TSR-8, i notice that the take up reel (actually the plastic hub itself) is not spinning eveny and is wobbling. Im wondering how serious of a problem this is and if its something i may be able to fix myself.
The hub is brand new and the tape is secure in place. The actual mechanism seems off-center. Ive also noticed that when i turn the hubs by hand, the take up side offers a little more resistance.

The plastic reel clampers (hubs) are very flimsy and fail a lot. Tascam Parts Department still sells them, part number 5740003400

(323) 727-4840
parts@tascam.com

ALSO happens on the MSR-16

I took a look at an MSR-16 a guy had up for grabs. It was factory rebuilt by Tascam in 1997.
Thought it's in pristine condition electronically and cosmetically, it has slightly wobbly reel hubs, as mentioned above. The take-up side does it JUST ENOUGH to rub against the tape itself upon every revolution :(

Just thought i'd throw that out there. TSR-8's aren't the only ones with that problem. This MSR-16, though it hasn't been used much, does it as well.

-callie-

Back