With what gear did you make your 1st recording?

RichJ

For the nostalgic...
Circa 1987...United SG copy, Yamaha toy-like keyboard (for bass, played live, no sequencer) and a Roland TR-626 drum machine - live into Technics 2-track cassette. 4-songs (instrumentals) written and recorded on a Saturday. Reviewed in the college newspaper the week after...pretty good review actually!!
Rich

Circa 1984. I recorded "You Are So Beautiful To Me" for my girlfriend on a really sweet grand piano. The problem is I did it with a single SM57 into a cassette tape deck. I then patched that into a second cassette deck through the aux and added trumpet for the melody line (thanks to my cousin Dan on trumpet). I then patched that back into the first tape deck and added bass guitar.

I can't remember what it sounded like (garbage I'd guess!), and don't have a copy of the tape. But it must have worked--we've been married now for 23 years. (I rerecorded the same song--much better if I do say so myself--as a gift to her for our 20th anniversary.)

Depends upon how you want to define "first recording". The very first recording would have been somewhere around 1966 or so. I was on drums with a toy drumset (I don't remember the brand) consisting of a small kick, snare, single crash cymbal, a plastic bloc and, yes, a cowbell. The kit sounded awful, but was really cool for a 6-yr-old. My friend Norm picked something out on a 6-string Spanish guitar that was missing two strings. Our neighbor down the street, an older man who just loved gadgets and Big Boy toys used to record our garbage on a Sony 5" or 7" (I forget) open reel recorder. I'm sure it was quite awful as we knew absolutely nothing about music yet, but we had a blast doing it and playing it back for our parents and neighbors and friends.

The first "serious" (relatively speaking, anyway) attempts were in the mid-to-late 70s, starting first with an original Tascam 4-track Portastudio we borrowed form a friend, but quickly moving to our own Teac 3340a 4-track simulsync R2R, Pioneer RT1020L stereo R2R, and Teac A500 cassette deck, which we used to record an ARP 2600 analog synth coupled with a Sequential Circuits 800 sequencer and a custom voltage control hookup via a TRS-80 Model 1 microcomputer with a whopping 16K of RAM (!), serial interface controller and 4 floppy drives of some 70k or so per disc storage (I forget now the exact number; something I never thought I'd ever forget :( .)

We ran the synth through an Acoustic dual-channel head and 4x10 cab. We had a couple of friends come in with a dark walnut Fender jazz bass (I forget the model) run through an Acoustic mono head and (I think) a single 15" cab, and a standard white on black Telecaster run through an amp/cab which I no longer remember. We mixed and monitored through a Technics SA8500X 4-channel receiver and a set of Utah 12" 3-ways.

What I'd give to have that Technics receiver back again :o.

G.

Last edited:
My first recording was guitar into a yak bak.

Then a little later, a telemarketer microphone into my realtek computer sound card.

My first REAL recording (with some sort of sonic intention) was into an mxl 990 into an m-audio audio buddy pre then into a m-audio soundphile 2496.

circa 1965: making up chords on a beat up guitar, wailing away in what I thought was a really cool voice, and recording it on an old Phillips reel-to-reel.

circa 1970: more wailing, this time recording with a Sony reel-to-reel which had *gasp* 'sound on sound'/

circa 1975: in a studio elsewhere, recording on a Teac 3340, masterd onto a Revox HS77.

circa 1985: yet more wailing, this time on a Yahama mt3x four track cassette multi-tracker.

1988 was when I started to record myself on drums on my Teac X-7R 1/4 track. I used that thing so often I burned up the motors in it. That thing had such a good sound for a consumer deck. I'm using my Nephews to do mix downs and it sounds good.

1966 .... recording our band on a Radio Shack stereo tape recorder.
Got a Teac 3340 in 1969 .............. still have it.

A toshiba (I think) mono cassette recorder (had an AM radio in it as well) and the little plastic microphone that came with it.

Cassette recorders were very expensive at the time, 1970, it cost my parents about 2 weeks wages (I am forever grateful) and the thrill if playing back stuff I recorded myself was fantastic. I took it along to a few local outdoor events and recorded my favorite local bands (for my own use only) by sitting in front of the PA.

I was the first person in my school to have a cassette recorder.

I still have recordings done on this machine, in fact recently I came across a member of one of the bands I recorded at an event and burned him a CD, memories of a gig 39 years ago.

I wish I still had it, but we took it on tour in 1980 to play music in the band room after gigs and it got misplaced.

Cheers

Alan.

From analog to digital to analog again

Back in 1992, I was 9 years old and me and my friend borrowed a Yamaha PSS-570 (i´ve looked that up more recently) and recorded live into a crappy hitachi 2 track cassette recorder. The following years I used another bigger Hitachi ghetto blaster with dual cassette, I recorded onto the first cassette and then overdubbed to the other, playing another instrument, then switched cassettes and kept on doing overdubs, I used to make 5 overdubs or something, and the sound got worse and worse for each track.

Around 2001 I grabbed a used Fostex X-26 4 track recorder, never used any effects, and 2004 I went digital. Still used the Fostex to track 4 tracks, transfer to the computer and continue to do overdubs digitally.
2008 I went back to analog when I bought a tascam 388 1/4 reel to reel portastudio.
Today I´m waiting for my "new in box" INCA 88, 8 in 8 out, soundtrack to arrive, I´ve finnaly decided that I´ll want to track to tape and mix digitally.

For the nostalgic...
Circa 1987...United SG copy, Yamaha toy-like keyboard (for bass, played live, no sequencer) and a Roland TR-626 drum machine - live into Technics 2-track cassette. 4-songs (instrumentals) written and recorded on a Saturday. Reviewed in the college newspaper the week after...pretty good review actually!!
Rich

I used to make my songs entirely with shitty windows wave recorder. That was around 1996. I would literally play each part and mix paste the parts on top of each other. Guaranteed the hardest way to ever put a song together. You could say I kinda pulled off a digital Les Paul multitracking nightmare. :D

No reviews, no applause. Except for the one in my head at the time.

2 boomboxes and a radioshack mixer and mic...and a Yamaha keyboard and Ibenez guitar...arround 1982.
I eventually saved up for a Fostex X-15.

1966- I think it was a GE mono 3 inch reel to reel, one of those little battery powered things that sounded worse than a pocket transister radio, but at the time I thought it was cool. By the summer of 1967 I'd moved up to the "big time" and was recording on a friends stereo Sony 7" reel to reel, and he had a couple of fairly decent mics. After that it all blurs together (various reel to reel and cassette machines) until 2002 when I entered the wonderful world of digital recording.

My 1st recording was done with a guitar distortion pedal acting as a DI box, Drum one shots, and Acid Pro 3. Just thinking about those day's makes me shake my head.

First proper recording was made on fruity loops. We then had a record pressed up which sold all right for an independent job. I brought a big gold chain with the proceedings. It wouldn't have been hip hop if I didn't lol. the chain is pretty ugly these days to look at and my tastes have refined but I have a problem when it comes to trying to sell it.

My parents have the 1st ever pressing on their wall in the their front room.

Prior to that I'd done a few things with a realistic dj mixer and some of old records and a shure pa mic and a tape deck.

Hmm... Probably '97 or so, me on lead guitar, my dad on piano, jamming out in our living room with a boom box with a built-in mic capturing the sound in the room. He found the tape recently, actually, and played it for me - it was awful, but fun. :D

The first time I sat down to "record," however, as opposed to just capturing a jam session, I was working with a Sonic Foundry Acid 2.0 demo I got from a friend, and recording my amp by placing my laptop next to it and having the built-in mic capture the sound of the amp. This would have been '03... Soon after, I "upgraded" to one of those computer mics that looked a bit like a whammy bar. I did an entire album of instrumental material I released over mp3.com this way - let's just say that I learned a LOT from the experience. :D

Back