Witchhunt

Not bad, Guiseppe. Pretty balanced mix. The bass is a little rumbly and could maybe use a little more definition, but it's borderline. Guitars and vocals sound great. My only nit is the drums. I like the toned down programming. They don't seem as busy as your other tunes. Personally, I'd like the drums even simpler to give it more chugging powerful feel with more drive and energy, but that's just me. I know you like em busy. But they still sound very canned. They just need to be beefier. Fatter overall. Particularly the snare. It's just too cracky without enough body. Maybe make the kit more cohesive too. Everything seems over-isolated a little bit. It's overall very good though.

Hey Greg,
yeah I'm reprogramming the kit right now to make it straighter, it's the thing that's bothering me most. I'd like more Priest style there. And I'm reviewing the samples too. Funnilly enough, I always have you in my mind when I'm programming....'cos you're hard to please and that's good....:D
Thanx for the comments, as always greatly appreciated.

Hey Greg,
yeah I'm reprogramming the kit right now to make it straighter, it's the thing that's bothering me most. I'd like more Priest style there. And I'm reviewing the samples too. Funnilly enough, I always have you in my mind when I'm programming....'cos you're hard to please and that's good....:D
Thanx for the comments, as always greatly appreciated.

Well you know, the thing with drum programming is that it has to seem realistic. It has to seem like it would be something a real drummer would play. You usually pull it off pretty well, but usually the busy-ness detracts from the flow of the song. This song isn't as technical as you're usual offerings, so more straight-ahead drumming would serve it well. As it is, it never really gets rolling. Priest drumming would be a good model to emulate. It's metal and it rocks, but it's not overly complicated and the songs rip with energy. Nicko-era Maiden is pretty good too. He doesn't even use double-kicks.

Okay, Joey.. Your guitars are unreal. Your vocals are spot-freakin'-on (as usual) Very versatile vocals...

The drums, though not bad, I'd have to say are the weak link here. They're kind of spastic in their timing in parts...

I don't mean to hijack the thread here, and feel free to delete this post if you feel it does, but with Greg talking about keeping beats simple, I recently uploaded a song called "Bucket". The drums were extremely simple, but keeping it simple (for me) was a huge chore. I ended up playing through the song at least 10 times to get it right, and it's got like 2 fills, with just a basic beat. I've heard people talk about Phil Rudd and his amazing ability to keep things simple, powerful, and rockin' with "four-on-the-floor" in a way nobody else can. As a young drummer, I thought people were insane when they said that. I thought I could reproduce it easily. Not so. There's an amazing power in keeping drums simple, solid, and rockin'.

Wow... Rambling too much here.

Main point: Someday I hope to be able to do guitars like you do. I'll never be able to sing like you do. Keep working on your drums. Your songs freaking rock.

Yup, Rudd rules. You won't find a more solid drummer. You can set a watch to his rock solid beat. People that bash his simplicity don't/can't really play drums.

Okay, Joey.. Your guitars are unreal. Your vocals are spot-freakin'-on (as usual) Very versatile vocals...

The drums, though not bad, I'd have to say are the weak link here. They're kind of spastic in their timing in parts...

I don't mean to hijack the thread here, and feel free to delete this post if you feel it does, but with Greg talking about keeping beats simple, I recently uploaded a song called "Bucket". The drums were extremely simple, but keeping it simple (for me) was a huge chore. I ended up playing through the song at least 10 times to get it right, and it's got like 2 fills, with just a basic beat. I've heard people talk about Phil Rudd and his amazing ability to keep things simple, powerful, and rockin' with "four-on-the-floor" in a way nobody else can. As a young drummer, I thought people were insane when they said that. I thought I could reproduce it easily. Not so. There's an amazing power in keeping drums simple, solid, and rockin'.

Wow... Rambling too much here.

Main point: Someday I hope to be able to do guitars like you do. I'll never be able to sing like you do. Keep working on your drums. Your songs freaking rock.

Spot-on Jason....;)
They were bugging me so much, I'm programming them again. I found so many timing mistakes and false hits, I just don't know what I was thinking when I did them the first time (too much of that good italian wine.....:rolleyes::)) Yeah, you can have the best jazz drummer in the world, if he can't keep a solid boom-tah going, he's not worth shit....
Delete your post? Are you kidding, that's what we're here for, to learn from each other....;) I left you a comment on Bucket, great fun tune.
With the guitars, it's a matter of routine, once you find that sweet spot to put the mic in, you've got it. I've got 4 tracks here miced, and 2 of them are copied onto 2 other tracks and I threw some Guitar Rig sounds on them and mixed them into the miced ones.
Thanx for taking the time, bro!
:)

New Mix

OK, here we go with the an updated mix. I worked on most of your suggestions and I'm actually starting to like it now....;)
Drums have been programmed again and have a more solid beat and are EQ'd a bit better (at least I hope so, Greg....:D). I took some rumble off from the bass and tried to get the voice to sit better in the mix. Thanx for helping me out, guys.:)

http://www.box.net/shared/4v9vaiaksk

I gotta hand it to ya, Joey... Your stuff has some of the best sounding programmed drums. Love the EQ on the new mix - definitely sounds much more seated within the rest of the song.

Now.. I find this so odd, but through the first minute or so of the song, my drummers intuition told me to do pretty much exactly opposite of what you were doing with the drums. You had fills and jerky off-beats where I would have put a solid pumping rhythm. You had a steady pumping rhythm where I would have gone nuts with multi-measure fills. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but.. It sure was a weird experience for me.

Man... If I had the time, I'd love to try to put down a live track for this one... If for nothing else but to show ya what's in my head with this tune... Maybe I'll do it just for the first minute...

I gotta hand it to ya, Joey... Your stuff has some of the best sounding programmed drums. Love the EQ on the new mix - definitely sounds much more seated within the rest of the song.

Now.. I find this so odd, but through the first minute or so of the song, my drummers intuition told me to do pretty much exactly opposite of what you were doing with the drums. You had fills and jerky off-beats where I would have put a solid pumping rhythm. You had a steady pumping rhythm where I would have gone nuts with multi-measure fills. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but.. It sure was a weird experience for me.

Man... If I had the time, I'd love to try to put down a live track for this one... If for nothing else but to show ya what's in my head with this tune... Maybe I'll do it just for the first minute...

No problem Jason, I can send you the drumless mix if you like. Would be interesting for me to hear a real drummer playing it, even if it's just for the fun of it, and hey, we all want have fun don't we? So just say so, if you'd like to do it....;)

sounds even better...i have to hand it to you mate, you are the second best drum progammer on the site :D

Back