Wish you were here for review

Kjv1993

Busking a Subway Near You
Im thinking about playing at a local coffee shop during their open mic night. Ive played there before but had other people sing. I really want to sing and play, but Im not so sure about my voice. Here is a crappy recording of me covering wish you were here. I messed up a few times on guitar, but i was mainly focusing on singing. Let me know, is my voice good enough for an open mic night?

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9885188

Ok your voice was buried by the guitar...but it was struggling, I could hear it being off key quite a bit...not by far, but enough

I was trying to sing along a bit while listening, Im no vocalist mind, and it was quite difficult song...they whole thing has a strained feel about it

Mind you its an open mic night, no one expects Neil Young...actually his stuffs always in range...try a Neil Young song??

I'm sorry but you are completely tone deaf. You should not try to sing in front of people unless you are willing to be laughed at. Your guitar playing is right on par with someone that's been playing for about 1-2 months.

You should teach music or do motivational talks...you'd be awesome (lying but motivating)

Based on that sample recording alone, I would have to recommend against it. The issues with pitch would be difficult to surmount. Sorry, but you did ask.

You've got a good start, but I would recommend a little more practice before a public performance. Maybe practice singing with the actual song on CD or whatever and work on getting as close as you can on hitting the notes on your vocals.

I would also eliminate the guitar solo part in the intro if it's just you. If you have someone playing rhythm guitar with you, that would work just fine....but I don't think it really works in a single guitar/vocal format in a performance setting.

Keep practicing and go for it!!!

:)

And ya know? It's only an open mic night.

It's a great way to get some experience...

If you can record it - video or audio...you could use that to figure out what went well and what you need to work on.

So...hell....you just may want to go for it.

There's nothing wrong with that either.

Dude, it sounds fine. Better rendition of Wish you were here than I can do!

It's a coffee house. 50% of the people aren't listening because there just there for coffee. 40% are just no talented hipsters. 9% are nervous and thinking about their own music they're going to perform. The left over 1% is probably actually listening... but then again that 1% is probably your friend that you brought along for moral support and they think your awesome anyway!

Back