Wiring problem

HendryJ

Hello,

I'm building myself a little diddley bow but I'm having some problems with connecting the pickup to the jack input. Haven't really done this before so would be great if someone could help me out. I have a DiMarzio DP174 pickup and an Ernie Ball endpin jack (see picture). From what I understand the longest post is for the tip, but I don't really know which of the two wires from the pickup are for grounding/signal. Been looking around but all websites I've checked says differently.

Sorry for newbie question but don't want to mess up :)

IMG_0039.JPGIMG_0038.JPG

First of all I'd check the Dimarzio site for the pick up wiring.
The end jack plug you have is a stereo jack socket.
The shortest pin (nearest to the body) is the tip the next longest is the ring(not needed) and the furthest from the body and the longest pin (also the wire clamp) is the ground.

Google is your friend for finding guitar wiring loom schematics and layouts.
A (logrithmic ) taper for volume pots
B (linear) taper pots for tone.

I hope this help
Rich

Edit this is an unusual jack socket for guitar use.
I have a similar one but in a solid plexiglass guitar.

Got a meter? If not, get one. Even a cheapo from the hardware store will help you find the continuity that you need to verify. Put it in resistance mode, stick a cable in the jack and measure first from the tip of the other end of the cable to each pin. Find the one that shows very close to 0 Ohms and that's your tip. Now measure resistance between the sleeve of the cable and the other pins. It'll probably come out 0 to both, so pick one.

Now measure resistance between each of the pickup wires and anything metal on the pickup. If it turns out that one of the wires is nearly 0 Ohms to some metal something on the pickup (pole pieces or baseplate or whatever), then that one should be connected to the sleeve of the jack because it's being used for shielding purposes. From the looks of it, though, I think you'll get no continuity between either wire and the metal parts, in which case it doesn't matter at all which wire goes to tip or sleeve.

While you're at it, measure the resistance between the two pickup wires and make a note. It can help with debugging once you get it wired up. Maybe not super important in such a simple circuit, but it doesn't hurt either.

Back