Wiring Control Room To Main Studio

an1989dy

I am in the process of building a small home studio, and I was wondering, how do I make it so I am able to run all my mic cables to my board in the control room without putting a hole in the wall and losing some of the sound proofness? Also, without spending alot of money on wall jacks. I have a 100 foot 8 channel stage snake if i could use it. any help? :confused:

thanks
andy

Use the snake If you will only ever need 8 mics in that room. Cut a hole in the wall and put a pipe in the hole. Fix the wall and seal it up around the pipe. run the snake through it and fill the pipe with auralex. That would be the best you can do without doing the wall jacks.

ronsmith said:
thats exactly what I did and its works fine. :D

Same here and it does work fine!!! Use a 2" piece of pvc. I filled mine with rockwool. Make sure you caulk around the pipe. Also, when you cut the hole for the pipe make sure there isn't a stud behind the drywall and cut the hole tight to the pipe. Trace around the pipe to get it exact!

using the snake

the only problem with that is that the box with the mic plugs is like 8 inches wide and wouldn't fit through a 2 inch pipe, because the other end is hooked up to a wheel and wont come off. also i don't want the snake to be permenatley sealed in my studio

go get a 24 channel snake with four 1/4 inch returns, you will outgrow 8 channels in about a week.

If you fill the pipe with foam you are creating a severe weak spot in the isolation of your studio. This is hardly better than an open air space where the pipe is.

Far better is to slop an inch of drywall filler around the snake (in the sealed pipe) on each side. Get it airtight. If you need to change your wiring later, it's easy... just break and scrape out the dried filler.

Run PVC pipe or electrical conduit under the floor from point "A" to point "B", mount a in-floor box with all your jacks, then blow insulation into the pipe before you permanently bolt the floor boxes down.

Works very well, and while you are essentially making a "hole", in the floor is typically less acoustically intrusive than making a hole in the wall.

Also, run snake cable without the ends on it, allows for a narrower pipe/conduit than if you try to snake cable heads through.

Also, run a lot more than you think you need, its not significantly more expensive, and you can always use balanced audio lines as midi lines, or AES/EBU, for example.

If you drill a hole in your wall and stick a 2" PVC pipe in there, do you need to take out all the cable heads/connectors before you do it? Lets say the PVC pipe is only about 6" long, can you just feed each cable head through 1 by 1 until the entire thing goes through? I haven't received my snake yet but I'm hoping I don't have to take off the heads because that would make things take a lot longer than I would want when the snake does come in :P

It depends, you will have to wait until the snake gets there. I would get the snake, then pick the size of the pipe to accommodate.

Well, the thing is, there are people putting up my studio now and they probably won't wait til I get the snake because it'll stall and delay their work. Hmm the thing is, it looks like 2" is the largets diameter for a PVC pipe. What other types of pipes are suitable for holding a snake cable?

Well, the thing is, there are people putting up my studio now and they probably won't wait til I get the snake because it'll stall and delay their work.
:rolleyes:
It simply amazes me. After thought, hindsight, flyin by the seat of your pants etc etc. Why in the fuck do people go to the trouble of building a complex thing as a studio without so much as a detailed PLAN! And then ask at the same time they are building how to solve problems that SHOULD have been thought out WAAAAAAAAAAAY before they swung a hammer. Amazing. Simply amazing.

I have a 4 inch pvc pipe in mine. I have 4 snakes (total of 56 channels) and a bunch of speaker cables and other stuff going through there.

3 and 4 inch pvc pipe can be found along with the toilet drains and shower drains at your local home center or plumbing supply house.

Darryl.....

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
:rolleyes:
It simply amazes me. After thought, hindsight, flyin by the seat of your pants etc etc. Why in the fuck do people go to the trouble of building a complex thing as a studio without so much as a detailed PLAN! And then ask at the same time they are building how to solve problems that SHOULD have been thought out WAAAAAAAAAAAY before they swung a hammer. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Well, I talked to a lot of people about this and I thought I asked all the right questions, but then, yeah I admit, I almost crapped my pants when I'm like "oh wait, how am I going to put the wires through? :P" (yeah yeah, go me)

Another thing is, I just discovered this nice message board after they started construction. I'm glad I got most of the things right from the information I had gathered from other people, but there are a few details I missed (and glad I caught them early, as it's still early enough to make the minor changes).

Anyway, yeah, he's going to get a big PVC pipe that's going to go between the rooms. Thanks for the help :)

I almost crapped my pants when I'm like......

Er...... like what? Is this a new language? :confused: I'm like..supposed to guess? :p

I'm glad I got most of the things right from the information I had gathered from other people, but there are a few details I missed (and glad I caught them early, as it's still early enough to make the minor changes).

Yea, thats good. So how are you going to run the PVC? Straight through or with a couple of 90 degree offsets(which would be better for isolation.)

By the way, I'm just teasing you :D Old fart syndrome.
fitZ :)

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Er...... like what? Is this a new language? :confused: I'm like..supposed to guess? :p

Yea, thats good. So how are you going to run the PVC? Straight through or with a couple of 90 degree offsets(which would be better for isolation.)

Haha, I think the proper term is "scared shitless". But yeah, my main plan was going to just go through straight, because someone said that I needed to strip the heads if I was going to run it under the floor? I guess if I have a big enough pipe then I can put my arm in there or something, right? Hrmm.

Is 4" the thickest pipe? Or is that the biggest recommended pipe?

I am at the same point in my project. i've search the forum and found no definitive answer about wall plate vs pipe.

I am only going to be running 8 channels (for now). are the wall plates that big of a problem to connect together? I have going to do one 4 gang with 8 XLR and a single gang with two TRS (for headphone and maybe guitar).

any final thoughts? This is your chance for a Jerry Springer Moment...

drew

dinodrew said:
I am at the same point in my project. i've search the forum and found no definitive answer about wall plate vs pipe.

I am only going to be running 8 channels (for now). are the wall plates that big of a problem to connect together? I have going to do one 4 gang with 8 XLR and a single gang with two TRS (for headphone and maybe guitar).

any final thoughts? This is your chance for a Jerry Springer Moment...

drew
It seems people don't like wall plates because they aren't as expandible as pipes. If you're absolutely 100% sure that you don't need more than 8 channels than it should be fine, but a lot of people say that pipe is more convenient for the fact that you can just take out the foam and put more wires or a larger snake through whenever you don't have enough channels going through.

There are other things to consider though. First off, if you have gone to the trouble to build double walls, then a pipe straight through is a joke. It will drop the Rating of the walls, which negates all the money and time it took to build them. If it is a single wall, with RC, then Do NOT let the pipe touch sheetrock to sheetrook. That will negate the use of the RC on that wall. What type of construction have you used on this wall?
fitZ

Back