Wireless headphones (not for recording)

@notCardio - I see an old post of yours from 2006 looking for wireless phones NOT for recording. Did you ever get some you're happy with?

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Sennheiser HD 450SE

I'm just after low latency for streaming (some) videos and decent bluetooth connectivity for laptop audio and my phone - the other bells and whistles don't interest me at this point.
No, I did not. You'll have to tell me what the connectivity is like as far as distance, and how the outside noise isolation is.
Also if you get any interference (noise in the cans).
Thanks!

No, I did not. You'll have to tell me what the connectivity is like as far as distance, and how the outside noise isolation is.
Also if you get any interference (noise in the cans).
Thanks!
Just received my headphones - 5 days earlier than scheduled. I've got them taking their first charge right now.

I couldn't resist having a listen though, just to make sure they worked out of the box. Not a bluetooth listen, I used the supplied headphone wire which is specific in that the straight jack into the phones is only 2.5mm and the 90° jack into my laptop is standard 3.5mm.

I pulled up a YouTube HD version of the Led Zeppelin I album. I have to say, these phones have remarkable sound. They are advertised as having "deep dynamic bass" but I wouldn't say they're bass heavy. The bass is very present, tight, punchy and bassy without being bass heavy. A very well-balanced audio experience. I'm impressed. Nothing like my Tascam tracking phones which are quite bass heavy.

They're done charging now, only took 1 hour. Not bad. I'm too tired to mess with them tonight.

Last edited:
@notCardio - Connectivity is excellent. It was quick and solid with my laptop and Samsung smartphone. Distance was good up to 35-40ft around a corner and through a wall. At around 40ft it started to drop out but was full strength right up to that point.

The ANC works great, it activated as soon as they were turned on. I turned on my TV at normal listening volume (30+/-) through it's built-in speakers only. Then streamed a TV show video on my laptop, and as soon as the video sound started in the headphones the TV sound disappeared completely. So did all the noisey traffic outside my windows, as well as the rumbling of my refrigerator. All gone while audio is in headphones. Even when there's no audio in the phones the ANC works pretty well. As soon as I turn the phones off I can hear the refrigerator rumbling and an overall whooshing like a waterfall - like a seashell at my ear.

There is absolutely no interference from anything else, like electrical appliances or my wireless network, or all the wireless crap spewing from connected vehicles flying by my windows.. they interfere with my OTA digital TV recepion but they don't bother these phones.

That's about all for now. Sennheiser has an app which offers more features but I haven't gotten into that yet.

I just paired these with my Dell desktop Win 10 PC and they work great within Windows Sound system. When paired, my audio interface is deselected as main playback device. Turning the phones off/disconnecting reselects the interface. No glitches here.

Just for giggles, I fired up Reaper but, as stated before, the interface is out of the loop when the phones are on, so no Reaper audio in the phones. HOWEVER... low latency bluetooth transmitters are cheap these days. The one I'd prefer to order is currently unavailable - SOLD OUT.. high rating for it's low latency (via Qualcomm). So I'll get what looks like a reasonable substitute, along with a 3.5mm - 1/4" adapter, which will plug into the headphone out on my interface. Not having a wire getting caught up in my feet and legs while tracking would be nice. Hopefully the latency will be low enough to allow this.

Last edited:
Back