Windows Volume Control--Where should it be set?

Chris Long

Hi All
Got my 2496 up and running after fighting with it a while, then giving up. A few months later, I tried again, and it works like a charm now. No idea why.

But anyway--where should the Windows Volume control be set? All the way up? or does that introduce some sort of Windows distortion? Seems like it should be at max, but I'd like to hear from others--

Thanks!
Chris

heres the procedure i used originally.
from my synth i sent a reference tone into the mixer and made sure it was just shy of -2db. not in the red. then i sent the tone out to the sound card. and set the windows line in for about three quarters up.
(also watch the wave out in windows on the output side).
then i booted up my recording software, and looked at its input metering.
and once again set the windows control (if needed) so that in my recording software i allowed for high peaks. i normally record about -5 db or so on my software metering of input to allow for trackadding up in the future.
once i had set the windows control i left it where it was and
say i had a screamy singer then i adjusted back on the mixer the level going to the sound card just below -2db on the highest peaks.
of course checking the recording software input monitoring to make sure i wasnt redding out.
so in summary at this point i use the mixer fader plus the recording software input metering. but this is just one way.

I don't get that. With my delta 44 the windows volume control is disabled.

Which drivers are you using?

I used to use a Delta 1010 and I think if it was setup as the default audio device in windows, the windows volume control would reset it to a different level, I think turning the volume down on the windows media player and closing it would turn the volume down on the Delta, I had a couple of times where I went to use the Delta for recording/mixing and had to reset it's volume contol.

Put the windows volume control all the way up, don't forget to disable all system sounds, and remember to turn it back down after working with recording software, or you'll be in for a LOUD surprise..

Strryder said:
Put the windows volume control all the way up

Thanks...that's what I was thinking. Seemed to be the only way to do it.

Bulls Hit--I'm using the 0046 driver set. The 2496 is my default sound card, maybe that makes a difference from what Strryder mentioned. Could it be different because it's not the default sound card?

Anyway--thanks for your help, all. I'm going to mess around and experiment a bit more.

One more thing: in the Delta Control Panel there is a checkbox labelled Asio/Easi Options that says "Disable Audio App use of Monitor Mixer and Patchbay/Router". I have it checked. What, in the real world, does this mean?

Thanks again
Chris

Back