windows input level

buenoblue

Hi there all,

I have a simple question. What do people use for the windows recoring input level? ive searched google and cant find any mention of it. On my windows 10 the default was 64 out of a hundred.
does anyone change this? should i have it at 100 then adjust the gain on my usb interface? if i do this it sounds to hot.

any advice would help. And if possible can you check what yours is set at please.

thanks

In my desktop with Windows 10 Home, all volumes are set at 100. Then my interface has a software control panel where I set all of it's volumes at 100. When recording, I adjust the interface input gain knob to set the recording level.

You say yours sounds too hot - make sure you have the correct MIC/LINE/INST selected for whatever you have plugged in, and don't turn on Phantom Power unless you've got a condenser microphone plugged into an XLR input. The wrong selection here can increase the input making it a little or a lot hot depending on your instrument.

It depends what you have connected. For instance, I use a headset with this Lenovo W10 lappy and I just found the TECKNET USB dongle I use with it was set to 94/100. However I also have a Behringer UCA 202, a handy thing and you MUST set that to no more than 5/100 (yup, five) otherwise you get a very noisy recording. Once so setup the 202 gives remarkably good results, more than good enough e.g. for dubbing tape.

When using a proper interface, MOTU M4 or NI KA6 I of course use their ASIO drivers so Win 10 does not get a lookin.

Dave.

Thanks for the response mate. I have an AKG p220 mic and behringer UMC22 usb interface. If i have windows volume at 100 i have to turn the gain down to probaly less than 10 percent on the dial. Even then with the volume at naught in cakewalk its very very loud. Is this normal?

Yeah Something is definitly not right on my setup. I have windows record input at 100 and my usb interface gain kbob turned right down to 0 and im hitting the red in the peak meter at 0 volume/gain level in DAW. Do i turn down the gain/Volume in the DAW to get it to the desired gain before Mastering?

Gain staging is everything.
Start with setting the mic input on your Behringer so it is happy with the mic, a solid but not crazy level. Then you know that part is done.

Now, knock your DAW/Windows input level down to 40-50 or so. Speak into the mic and compare levels between the known healthy level on the Beh and the resulting level on the Windows DAW...if it is a bit low, that is good, you can then raise the DAW's input to taste (of course, you leave the Behringer alone.)

If this doesn't do it, there is an inferface issue between your Beh interface and the DAW/Win10.
Double-check your WIndows Mixer settings to see if anything is jacked through the roof by mistake.
Check your Cakewalk settings and make sure no effects/normalizers/gain "pumps" of any kind are engaged.

Nothing should ever be at "Near Zero and at 100" unless you are distorting guitar amps 8-)

C.

Last edited:
Cheers for the advice. I have been turning down the windows input but wasnt sure if im losing dynamic range.

Sorry to be a pain but do you mean knock down the windows sounds recording level to 40-50 or is there a setting in the daw for changing input level?

Cheers for the advice. I have been turning down the windows input but wasnt sure if im losing dynamic range.

Sorry to be a pain but do you mean knock down the windows sounds recording level to 40-50 or is there a setting in the daw for changing input level?
Quite honestly I don't understand the question. For over a decade I have been messin' with interfaces, PCI then USB and I have always just selected them in my DAW* with their mfctrs drivers and Bob's yer whatsit! Ais include a F'rite 8i6 Mk1, Behrry 204hd, NI KA6 MOTU M4.
The ONLY interface I ever had to **** with re level was the uber cheap (but handy!) UCA 202/222) but then that is a 16 bit only device and resolutely runs at neg 10dB.

*Mainly some version of Samplitude but sometimes Audacity, AA1.5. Reaper, Cubase and others.

Dave.

I don't think I have ever adjusted record level in the windows settings - it's never needed me to do it? I do it on the same apps when using the usual windows sound cards without interfaces on other machines, but with all my computers connected to interfaces there's never been a need?

Yeah thereis so little information on th internet i asume everyone is leaving it on default. The record level in control panel on windows then the sound option just for clarification.

The record level in that menu defaults to 64 out of 100 for me. I just assume you want the max input level from windows then control it with the usb interface otherwise are you not leaving dynamic range on the table by having the input lower?

could any one check what level theres is set at if possible

Maybe if i use asio drivers it just bypasses the windows sound stuff anyway but last time i tried them they were not working quite right on my setup

my windows setting on one computer is max vol and half input volume and the other is both set to max. Oddly this does explain why audio capture through one from the sound card is quieter. I think.

Well, since we're going down the rabbit hole, my Windows sound settings internally are at 100, which is what they have always been.

For my scratch recordings,I am using Audacity on my Win 10 machine, with a FocusRite 2I2 interface.
In the Audacity choices for "recording" and "playback" devices, I have the FocusRite selected for record, and my external DA converter selected for playback through speakers.

I set the mic input on the FocusRite to a good level, then set the Audacity recording input (it's displayed at the top) to about -20 t0 -16Db and that's plenty for everything.
Lots of headroom and no distortion anywhere in the chain. The FodusRite is relaxed, getting a good-but-not-crazy input and the Audacity receives the signal cleanly.

Does your recording software not have a recording input control? Surely it must...

C.

Last edited:
Yeah cheers for checking. I tried using asio driver and it bybasses the windows stuff I think and sounds a lot better. No longer blown out and the mic sounds so much better more along the quality I was expecting.

Trouble is it seems laggy and has popping sounds so I think I'm just gonna ungrade to a focusrite 2I2.

Again thanks for the input, much appreciated 😀

Yeah cheers for checking. I tried using asio driver and it bybasses the windows stuff I think and sounds a lot better. No longer blown out and the mic sounds so much better more along the quality I was expecting.

Trouble is it seems laggy and has popping sounds so I think I'm just gonna ungrade to a focusrite 2I2.

Again thanks for the input, much appreciated 😀
Before you go and buy a new interface, there are a bit more factors involved. There are buffer settings and the lower your buffer the less lag, but more stress on the computer. Check those areas first (look them up on the interface and the DAW).

My main DAW is Ableton. I just updated my MB and CPU and I can get almost 0 latency (you are not going to get 0). Now Ableton has a delay compensation setting, I have to turn that off or else it compensates in a bad way. My interface is about 10 years old, so not exactly the latest gear in interfaces.

Do some research on your DAW and interface, you might find your interface is not an issue. It might be, but exhaust other potential problems. (Buffer and DAW settings)

The problem with the UMC22 is that it doesn't have ASIO drivers so you are relying on the Windows drivers with higher latency. The cheapest Behringer interface with proper ASIO drivers is the UMC0202HD.

I installed asio4all and it seems to be working with 64ms latency. The sound when recording is magnitudes better than what I had before with wasapi drivers. I'll see how it goes for now but I probably will get a focusrite 2I2.

I installed asio4all and it seems to be working with 64ms latency. The sound when recording is magnitudes better than what I had before with wasapi drivers. I'll see how it goes for now but I probably will get a focusrite 2I2.
Don't IMHO jump straight for the 2i2. Yes, a very good interface but there is better albeit a few quid more but generally people only buy one interface and keep it a long time unless or until their recording needs change.

My son and both have a MOTU M4, rather a lot more than the 2i2 but the M2 has all of the Four's quality, just lacks the two extra line ins and outs. The M2 has MIDI ports, you may never need them but then again? It also has a very handy function that allows you to record any sound going through the PC, e.g. YT, radio as well as the front inputs.

The driver/latency performance is about the best you will get for your buck unless you go "RME"! Very low noise mic pres, you will NOT need a Cloudlifter for an SM57 or indeed a 7b. The front panel meters are VERY nice.

MOTU are also very nice people to talk to should you have a question...that is not to say Focusrite are not! Just never had the occasion to do so.

Another excellent AI is the Native Instruments KA6 Mk2. I have the Mk1, you might prefer the different control presentation of the NIs.

Note, I have no commercial connections with either company.

Dave.

Back