Windows 2003 Server as DAW Platform

producerkid

I've read and read and read about using a server edition operating system for a workstation and decided to take the plunge. I installed Windows 2003 Server Enterprise R2, SP2 on my DAW machine last night and I must say I've not been happier with a computer-related decision.

ROCK SOLID AND FAST AS HELL

Upon initial boot after installed, I viewed task manager to find my memory commitment at only 86MB with NO further configuration. Impressive. I've had nothing but trouble and irritation out of WinXP Pro trying to configure it to basicly run as a server. Win2k3 is almost exactly like a slimmed down version of XP Pro, but for some reason 2k3 just works better, or at least gives the impression that it does.

Placebo effect or not, I'm happy. lol Here is my system specs:

Abit KX7-333 Mobo w/latest BIOS
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton core)
ATI Radeon 9550 Dual Head Video (twin display)
Nextech 3+1 port Firewire (VIA chipset works great)
WD 40GB HD
WD 120GB HD
Seagate 80GB HD
Sony DVD Burner

Presonus Firepod as interface with the latest drivers and firmware.

Now with my system setup with winxp before, I had all kinds of issues with the new drivers/firmware for my Firepod with my guess being that the drivers just sucked. I think it's more a case of the drivers being extremely picky with what other hardware/software you are using. The KX7 mobo is a pretty naked board. No onboard anything at all, and thats perfect for DAW usage.

I would encourage anyone and everyone to go and pickup a copy of Windows Server 2003 for your DAW because I guarantee you it will eliminate a TON of headaches for you.

HELL NO! lol

I first tried it out with a ripped copy, yes. Then I told a buddy of mine that works for a networking company I was looking for a legit copy and he straight up gave it to me. I activated it with a crack, which I don't really consider stealing since the copy had been paid for already. But if that still makes me a pirate....well then I guess I am one.

Shit, I didn't even realize the Enterprise Edition cost that much. Didn't care to look. Well my bad on that one, but if you can get your hands on a copy of it then go for it.

Whats your IP address. . . . Im sure that Microsoft would have a thing or two to say about your Non Piracy lol.

Instead of the server splash screen does it pop up an H20 logo . . . .

Then I told a buddy of mine that works for a networking company I was looking for a legit copy and he straight up gave it to me. I activated it with a crack, which I don't really consider stealing since the copy had been paid for already. But if that still makes me a pirate....well then I guess I am one.

I have a legit copy of XP. If I gave you that disk, but not the product key, and you activate it with a crack, you're saying it's not piracy? Don't be daft.

You pay for the license, not the disk. Chances are that copy you got, while being an official MS product, is being used with the official product key by someone else. It's likely that it was bought with a multiuser license specific to the organisation that bought it.

K, well, for whatever its worth the software works really fucking well for the intended purpose. lol. Regardless of where it came from. I'm not gonna do this battle of the wits thing that seems to be getting really popular around here.

Layta

Just curious, the XP driver works with 2003? I've got an old license of 2003 SBS and I'm thinking of giving it a try, but am remembering all the crap from the days of actually using 2003 as a server (and subsequently switching back to 2000).

Yeah the new v2.46 XP driver works perfect. Just make sure that you install your chipset drivers and all that noise first. My guess is that the server edition is kind of finicky about hardware installations. Should work fine though. Post back to me with your results and if you have any problems ill try and help you.

Back