Windows 2000 & best soundcard?

bluesbro

Hi All,
Well after searching the forum there isn't much on this subject.
What I want to know is what is the best soundcard with W2k.
It seems that most of the cards are only compatible with 98se & ME. On the supported W2K cards people have written that IRQ steering in W2K is giving them fits. I will wait until a card supports W2k totally without bugs before I purchase.
Are there any good recording soundcards out (not M-Audio) that you recommend that work perfectly in W2K?
Are any companies releasing new cards soon? (I can wait)
The choices seem limited, but I guess I can always settle on something.
I mainly want to do live recordings and monitor sends to enhance a live performance. I don't have any recording software yet. I'll save that for another day.
Thanks
Bluesbro

P3 933 via 133a
512 mem
16 channel 2 bus mixer
Reason

whatever you get, make sure it has XP support as well, because you might be getting that one day.

Thanks J,
But I think I will stay with W2K for awhile. The XP registration to one PC is prohibitive to me. I change PC parts so often I think my PC must be schizophrenic.

Thanks
Bluesbro

Echo

I've had no problems running the Echo Layla24 with the WDM drivers under Win2k. It runs seemlessly along with SONAR for all my audio and MIDI projects. There used to be a bug in the drivers where you couldn't turn off the power to the breakout box or else you would have to reboot the machine. This has since been fixed. I've also heard good things about the RME cards lately. You can also check out the Frontier Design cards here http://www.frontierdesign.com/ . It all depends on your budget.

Dick

bluesbro said:
Thanks J,
But I think I will stay with W2K for awhile. The XP registration to one PC is prohibitive to me. I change PC parts so often I think my PC must be schizophrenic.

Thanks
Bluesbro

The registration thing is easy to disable. Thats not really a concern anymore. It was defeated before it was ever released.

Dont know why you dont want maudio, its really your best choice.

Thanks all for the comments.

I know about the m-audio cards. Your right, it probably is my best choice. It's all the the other cards out there with the questions.
I guess I am waiting for the next best thing to come around.
I want to buy something soon, but would hate it if something better is just right around the corner.
Anyone know of any information of the next "killer" card coming out?

Thanks
Bluesbro

Back