Windows 11?

BroKen_H

Re-member
Just curious. My computer told me it needed updates the other day and I didn't pay much attention and just scheduled it to do its thing while I slept. Next morning I've got a brand new shiny Windows 11 OS., Okay.
That night there were updates, then the next night, then about two days later, and then again a couple days ago. Smoothest transition I have EVER had and seems pretty damned solid.
Anyone having troubles with it? Anyone putting off doing the free upgrade for some reason? Anybody else have a very seamless transition?
The Point
My studio computer is still on 7, and disconnected from the internet. But Reason runs on that system poorly (worse than my old hex core AMD). I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't seem to get the performance I need for big projects. Stuff I wrote and mixed on the old AMD halts and starts on occasion with the new dual Xeon 3.4Mhz 6 core with 32 gig and multiple SSDs. Thing has 12 cores and 24 threads, with 32G of memory and should absolutely ROCK as a studio computer. Reason assures me that my settings are correct to utilize that power and space... So, now I'm wondering if Windows 11 and an add to my antivirus license would be in order...

If the computer is relatively old (which I’m assuming since it’s running Win 7) it likely cannot easily update to Win 11.

I have two computers built around the same time, one is my personal computer and the other is my music workstation. Both are running Win 10, but refuse to update to Win 11 because they don’t meet it’s requirements. There were 3 specific issues - CPU, lack of TPM, and a third issue that I forget at the moment.

I did read there may be workarounds, which I’m probably going to try. It involves creating an install disk on a thumb drive. I need to pickup a large enough thumb drive first though. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I custom ordered it last year with 7. It was purposeful because I'd had good luck with 7 and REALLY bad luck with 10. So, I got it, hooked it up and in and running. Then I used my router to allow zero access to the internet in or out, removed it's antivirus and started recording. Worked fine, but when I pulled up songs I'd already done it got glitchy...been over this whole thing with Propellerhead's guys (they're pretty amazing). They think the system shouldn't have been built on 7 (something about improper utilization of /??), and I'm not sure how that works, but I'm willing to try to upgrade . . .especially if it's free. ? May not be for Win7 computers.

I have a computer upstairs that I purchased new about 3-4 years ago, and was only plugged in for a short time(did some work in that room which included replacing outlets). I'm not particularly computer savvy, but I have a feeling updates will require a considerable amount of time. I anticipate problems with the update. If memory serves it's fairly basic, purchased for someone who was temporarily living here to get on their feet.

I still use a stand alone Tascam, which has limitations. I've been considering going the DAW route for @ home recordingings. Open some doors, more tracks, plugins, ditch the shitty labor intensive (and disappointing) drum machine, etc. I don't know, transition might present a challenge. I'm not purchasing another computer until this here laptop shits the bed. Even at that i'd prefer a dedicated setup for recordingings. Dunno.

Probably be best to hardwire for the update rather than update through the router?

None of my video and audio computers have a chip on the list - too old. I've tried all four I use every day and it's tough for me!

Broken, if I was in that spot, I would probably get a spare SSD and clone the system drive, then do the Win10 installation and see if anything changes. The most you'll lose is having bought a drive ($50 or so). If Win10 doesn't work, then you still have a back up drive. It it fixes things, you win.

I have 3 of my 4 computers that are on 10, but can't upgrade to 11 because they are old chips (2nd and 4th gen). There's no big rush for me, 10 is supposed to be supported for another 4 or 5 years. By then, Intel will have the 15th gen chips out, Thunderbolt 4 or 5 will be standard on all machines, and we'll be running DDR5-10000 memory! That will probably run Reaper 8 just fine. Just load it on your 10TB 3D SSD drive and plug in the Scarlett solo (1st gen) and go. :giggle: ( gotta love those vintage USB interfaces... they sound so cool!)

Thanks Rich! To be honest, there are 4 SSDs in the computer. I imagine I could combine a couple to free one up and clone without purchase... Didn't think of it. If there are problems, I can just swap boot disks.

If the computer is relatively old (which I’m assuming since it’s running Win 7) it likely cannot easily update to Win 11.

I have two computers built around the same time, one is my personal computer and the other is my music workstation. Both are running Win 10, but refuse to update to Win 11 because they don’t meet it’s requirements. There were 3 specific issues - CPU, lack of TPM, and a third issue that I forget at the moment.

I did read there may be workarounds, which I’m probably going to try. It involves creating an install disk on a thumb drive. I need to pickup a large enough thumb drive first though. I’ll let you know how it goes.
FWIW, I picked up the thumb drive and spent the entire afternoon attempting to upgrade my legacy computer to Win 11. The initial instructions I had were insufficient. But perseverance finally paid off and I was able to get it installed. Be forewarned, however, that Windows 11 is aware it was installed on a device that “doesn’t support it” and it advised that as such it will not receive updates.

With that, if anyone else is interested in trying, hit me up. I can let you know what worked for me.

Update: I see that this post is now nearly a year old. My office computer has been running Win 11 all this time without any issues at all. AND it gets all the updates it’s supposed to. Not sure if I mentioned, but I did install a TPM module in it, but the 1.3 version, not 2.0, since the age of the computer would not let it accept a 2.0.

I’ve been afraid to try updating my recording computer though - even though it’s nearly identical to the computer I updated. Main reason is the recording computer has some legacy hardware I’m concerned may not be supported properly, and I’m not looking to replace anything. Primarily a M-audio Delta 1010 which I’m pretty sure there are no new drivers being developed.

Last edited:
My Win 11 laptop gets Security Intelligence Updates virtually every day. I don't even notice them when they happen - no notifications... no nothing... I just check updates and they've been done.

Perhaps we need to have a vintage OS section? We have such trouble keeping computers going, its stupid to lock yourself into an era unless you also have old synths and keys and other devices. When your interface, keyboard or even guitar processor dies, do you only look for a second hand replacement? If a super new gizmo comes out, the manufacturer has tested it with the OS that is most likely. None of my vsti instruments work on old OS any more. None of my 32 bit ones work on Cubase without cheating. If you buy into music, you buy into keeping current.

I haven't used a Microsoft or Apple OS in years. Every time I use a computer with one of the OS I have to reorient myself.

Just curious. My computer told me it needed updates the other day and I didn't pay much attention and just scheduled it to do its thing while I slept. Next morning I've got a brand new shiny Windows 11 OS., Okay.
That night there were updates, then the next night, then about two days later, and then again a couple days ago. Smoothest transition I have EVER had and seems pretty damned solid.
Anyone having troubles with it? Anyone putting off doing the free upgrade for some reason? Anybody else have a very seamless transition?
The Point
My studio computer is still on 7, and disconnected from the internet. But Reason runs on that system poorly (worse than my old hex core AMD). I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't seem to get the performance I need for big projects. Stuff I wrote and mixed on the old AMD halts and starts on occasion with the new dual Xeon 3.4Mhz 6 core with 32 gig and multiple SSDs. Thing has 12 cores and 24 threads, with 32G of memory and should absolutely ROCK as a studio computer. Reason assures me that my settings are correct to utilize that power and space... So, now I'm wondering if Windows 11 and an add to my antivirus license would be in order...
Is it possible one of the older plugins used in the slower (older) projects is the cause of the sluggishness? How many tracks are we talking? Is it the same version of Reason the older projects were created?

@Pinky Thanks for the query. Don't think it's the plug-ins. But can't rule that out. My stuff usually has 15 to 35 tracks (one was 60 something). Not the same version they were created on, but the same version as when I last used the AMD without problems.
TBH, haven't been in the studio for more than a few minutes at a time since the wife passed. Have two new songs that are just primary tracked.
I have noticed that if I turn off inputs from the TASCAM (i.e. pare down to just a couple at at time) that playback works okay and I can record... But if I open it up like I used to with all the mics going it just starts glitching bad. I never use more than two inputs at a time anyway, so it doesn't really hurt except I have to switch from mics to line input which kind of takes away from the "vibe"...
(AND yes, I have tried newest version of drivers/uninstal-reinstall/older version of the driver for the TASCAM.)

I have noticed that if I turn off inputs from the TASCAM (i.e. pare down to just a couple at at time) that playback works okay and I can record... But if I open it up like I used to with all the mics going it just starts glitching bad. I never use more than two inputs at a time anyway, so it doesn't really hurt except I have to switch from mics to line input which kind of takes away from the "vibe"...
(AND yes, I have tried newest version of drivers/uninstal-reinstall/older version of the driver for the TASCAM.)
Yeah the symptoms definitely match latency and/or driver issues. It could also be chipset (motherboard) drivers, since those dictate how well the operating system and motherboard play well together. I assume also that based on your description, that the old slower projects are being loaded off one of the SSDs connected internally over a SATA cable or NVMe slot? Not over a usb drive?

If it's not too much of a burden, posting the detailed specs of the computer might reveal something as well. Anything able to run Windows 7 must be older, as driver support for Windows 7 ended quite a while ago. You can get that info from the "system information" window (search windows to bring this up) and export using the file-->save function. These are only tech specs, no personal data.

Just moved to 11 on my new business All in One. I know enough to be dangerous as a PC user but not a full on coder geek. I hate all the bloatware that comes with a new PC ..first thing I do is remove all that shit including any FREE for a month virus software. I only use Microsoft defender and have not got bitten by a bug ( OH shit now I've done it) in over 10 years... A tip I learned here a million years ago....Unlike some who don't EVER connect their music recording PC to the internets I am connected all the time but NEVER in Administrator mode....That means if I or an evil virus want to change something in the computer or registry ( where virus's do their dirty deeds) a pop up comes up asking for the admin password. No programs, no virus can be "installed" without the password....thus no infections and if something pops up that isn't you, you know somethings up and you stop it in its tracks. For sure I could be pulling off recordings on the windows 95 (I think I still have my Voyetra software that came with my soundblaster AWE 32 soundcard) But it is SO EZ these days...Reaper can do anything I would ever want to try to as far as laying down tracks and editing Waaaay beyond my paygrade of what it is capable beyond how I use it. Love Audacity too. Interfaces damn they are crazy cool these days and with an up to date PC or MAC not near the nightmares of 10-20 years ago with drivers and glitches.
The Zoom Ltrack 8 or16 is on my hit list...as an economical multitrack mixer interface..it is pretty kick ass...Thinking of selling the Behringer XR18 just gets too hot makes me nervous and I just don't need that many tracks for what I do..Oh well that's 2 cents on all of this nonsense. So far after getting things in line 11 seems to be real clean and as Sir Spantini said it updates all on it's own like 10

A recent problem (past couple months) on my laptop is MS edge crashing or just freezing. In all instances the touchpad is completely disabled as is most of the keyboard. The Windows key usually works but since the touchpad is inop no selections are possible. Power off/on resets everything. Sometimes using the Windows key the touchpad allows Edge to be selected which opens a new browser and everything resets.

This happens at least once a week.

I've experienced similar problems with other laptops and other OS's and am assuming it's related to portable devices with compact construction.

I very rarely use Edge. I'm just not a fan. It's either Firefox or Chrome on all my machines.

A few days ago, I downloaded LibreWolf which is a version of Firefox that stresses security and privacy. I was actually thinking about using it for accessing things like Medicare.gov, IRS.gov, my bank, etc.

It's only been fired up a couple of times, but it seems to run fine. I also installed it on my Linux box today.

Back