window treatment

mikedaul

So, I've just purchased a new drumset and I'm worried about the neighbors. The room I've set up the drums in has 2 windows, and I think they are the biggest source of sound leakage. I'd like to build a couple of window plugs, like the ones described on soundproofing.org, but I'd rather do it on the cheap. Would using heavy-duty house insulation (wrapped in fabric) and maybe a layer of homosote attached to a plank of mdf or something do the trick? (I'd like the window plugs to be removeable). What about using heavy blankets as curtains?

Thanks for any help.

I'd put insulation on both sides of the MDF and wrap in cloth as you suggested. I'd then plug the window with this which will give you insulation against the glass plus insulation inside to treat your room.

cheers
John

John, Are you saying that the egg crates I have scotch taped to my window aren't doing the job for me????

;)

Sure they will, if you have peaks @ about 800 or 6k - that's where they sorta work...

But, the really cool thing is, you can spray paint them from one angle with one color, and from a second angle with a different color, and they look 'way far cool - you could even tell people like sweetnubs that they control phase anomalies at different frequencies with different colors, and that's why you chose those particular colors... Steve

I built one out of 2x3 timber framing with a slightly oversized chunk of MDF that extends over the borders of the window. Nailed a garage door gasket to seal it against the wall and filled the space within the frame with 703 insulation--works great. A couple of handles make it removable and a couple of rotatable timber arms hold in place and insure it doesn't fall out.

Alex

Back