WinAmp

Fangar

Hey Guys,

Anyone notice that Windows Media Player (Wndows ME) adds major color to a .wav file or .mp3 that is being played? Tons of low end and shape that isn't there even when the EQ is off? I just downloaded Winamp and the mixes now sound the way that they do ounce burned to CD and played on another system. Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

Fangar

Know what else i noticed?

"Windows Me" has a very low audio quality compared to the rest of the operatin' systems. When i install any other os like Windows 2000 i get way better quality.

Also Win Xp has alot of hisses for some reason and the quality is not all dat good compared to Windows 2000.

I gotta check out Windows 98se now.

Also Win Xp has alot of hisses for some reason and the quality is not all dat good compared to Windows 2000.

I hav'nt noticed any hisses:confused:

I upgraded from 98 to XP on one of my systems, have not done too much audio yet, but have not noticed any change in audio quality.

If you are using a SB Live, you might check your driver version, there has been an updated XP driver released.

RWhite said:
I upgraded from 98 to XP on one of my systems, have not done too much audio yet, but have not noticed any change in audio quality.

If you are using a SB Live, you might check your driver version, there has been an updated XP driver released.

Don't use it!!!! Stick with the one that came with XP.

The updated driver creates all kinds of problems (especially in Sonar/HS2002).

Winamp is definitely head and shoulders above Media Player.

Also, with some older sound cards, it helps to switch the output from DirectSound to your sound card's wave out (Though Media Player may not give you that option). On my old Sound Blaster 64 Gold, I found that the wave out sounded MUCH better. I can't hear a difference in either selection on my Audigy, though. Might have something to do with the Audigy being a true full duplex card, while full duplex operation was only simulated on the SB64Gold.

the mp3 player that used to come with napster was even better. Made even crappy mp3s sound great. I think you can still download it from napster.

I personally can't stand winamp, and don't notice a lick of difference between winamp and media player.

Make sure that the "WOW" effects in media player are turned off.

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:
I personally can't stand winamp, and don't notice a lick of difference between winamp and media player.

Make sure that the "WOW" effects in media player are turned off.

Slackmaster 2000

Hmm. Yeah The media player majorly colors the sound on my machine. The WOW is off. Anyway it adds so much low frequency that my mixes always hum. So do everopne else's that i listem too off of the net. When I open them in winamp, they sound much clearer and un-adulterated. Maybe just my system though.

Fangar

I don't like winamp because it's hard to use, all the skins are retarded, and it doesn't cache streams.

I guess I haven't really compared it sound-quality-wise with Media Player, but I do prefer to use Media Player. I have them both installed on my home machine so maybe I'll check it out. I must admit that I don't really listen to MP3's when I "listen to music."

Personally I really like Media Player 8 on XP. It's the most effective player I've used to date.

Slackmaster 2000

The current versions of Media Player are spyware, so you know. That's why I mentioned XP. I don't know if you have a problem with that, but at least be aware.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24152.html

A list is kept of what you play, and Microsoft can access the list.

Personally, I use a skin for Winamp that makes it look like MacOS X. Although I don't actually use a Mac, I think their OS is very beautiful, and it improves the look of Winamp quite a bit (I also think most of the skins are ugly).

But basically, I just like it because MP8 seems really bloated to me. It doesn't load instantly on my computer, but Winamp does. And I don't like to wait. It's also super easy to swap playlists in and out, organize, and it plays every single audio file that I have.

I'm just a big Winamp fan. It's one of the few programs I know of that does everything it's supposed to. :)

Winamp is definately a lot lighter, but will not do a lot of the things that mp8 does. I don't really give a shit about the sound quality of an mp3 anyway, because it is an mp3. I monitor through mp recording program, so it doesn't matter a lot. Whatever. I use mp8 w/ XP and it seems to work well.

>I'm just a big Winamp fan. It's one of the few programs I know of that does everything it's supposed to

That.
And it Kicks the Llama's butt!

That MS crap is just buggy bloatware. They thought they were hip enough to include video playback using some common codecs without fucking up the audio portion. They were wrong. They may get it someday; they just haven't done it yet because nobody else is trying to compete with them. Which proves (to me, anyway) that MS is all about discouraging any competition as long as they can get away with it. And given the "cat in heat, twat in the air, fuck me NOW" stance of our 'justice' department when it comes to powerful corporate entities they'll be getting away with it for a long time.

RWhite said:

Also, check if you have a via chipset on your motherboard. sblive and via do not play well together especially in win2k and XP. I had all kinds of pops and hisses with mine till I updated the via 4-in-1 drivers. Now it's smooth sailing using Micosofts drivers for the sblive.

drstawl said:
>I'm just a big Winamp fan. It's one of the few programs I know of that does everything it's supposed to

That.
And it Kicks the Llama's butt!

That MS crap is just buggy bloatware. They thought they were hip enough to include video playback using some common codecs without fucking up the audio portion. They were wrong. They may get it someday; they just haven't done it yet because nobody else is trying to compete with them. Which proves (to me, anyway) that MS is all about discouraging any competition as long as they can get away with it. And given the "cat in heat, twat in the air, fuck me NOW" stance of our 'justice' department when it comes to powerful corporate entities they'll be getting away with it for a long time.

Media Player went downhill after 6.4 :(

6.4 did what it needed to do and nothing more. The interface was well thought out as well. Once 7.0 came out they screwed everything up. Did anyone ever notice the Spacebar acted as Play/Pause in 6.4? All the never ones use the stupid ass Crtl+P key combination.

Oh well, at least all these newer OS's have 6.4 still available. IF you type mplayer2 in the command prompt or the run Window, 6.4 magically re-appears!!!:D

matty_boy said:
Winamp is definately a lot lighter, but will not do a lot of the things that mp8 does. I don't really give a shit about the sound quality of an mp3 anyway, because it is an mp3. I monitor through mp recording program, so it doesn't matter a lot. Whatever. I use mp8 w/ XP and it seems to work well.

I care how an MP3 sounds because of this Forum. If someone asks you to critique a mix that they have posted on the net, then it is usually an .mp3 due to size constraints. Therefore, for many MP3 sound quality is important. The average size of one of my completed tracks is 75-80mb as a .wav. wanna stream that? :p . (Me either even though I am running a cable modem at 1.5 + MBS). Other than that, I agree with you Slack... I don't like the Skins and controls. The playlists on Media Playe suckalottabutt to.

Cheers!

Fangar

With regard to the driver for the SB cards, I have not downloaded any from Creative. However I recently installed XP on my ASUS / VIA PIII motherboard (which worked just great in all sorts of audio under Win 98). When downloading the first ream of "critical" XP updates after the install, I got notice in the updater that a new driver was available for my Sound Blaster Audigy card. So I downloaded / installed the driver. This was from Microsoft, not Creative.

Last night for the first time simce upgrading from 98 to XP I decided to do some recording on this system, just some stuff off the radio. I do my recording in Sound Forge, coming in from a small mixer (which gets feeds from radio/cassette/VCR/etc and goes to the Line In on the sound card). Sound Forge shows no signal coming in. I tried all the usual troubleshooting stuff, but seem to have nothing. So there may be something to that driver being weird, or my Soundcard got fried, or something else. I'm going to take another crack at it tonight.

Back