Will type II Adat tapes play on a Blackface?

strmkr

My friend has a 20 bit ADAT and I have a blackface.(had two blackfaces but ine is DOA now) We're collaborating and pooling all of our gear to record his CD. What I'm thinking is, we can easily get the first pass with the rhythm gtr., bass and drums down on the first pass on the 20 bit machine. then, if we can swap the tapes out and use the blackface for playback, we can do the overdubs on the 20 bit machine too and take advantage of the higher bit depth all the way around.

I know there is a phase reverse issue between the two, and the sample rates need to match but if it just sounds good enough to feed the phone mix during overdubs that's all we would need. We're going to run all the tracks into the DAW when we're done anyway, so we could do that one tape at a time.

strmkr said:
What I'm thinking is, we can easily get the first pass with the rhythm gtr., bass and drums down on the first pass on the 20 bit machine. then, if we can swap the tapes out and use the blackface for playback, we can do the overdubs on the 20 bit machine too and take advantage of the higher bit depth all the way around.

I know there is a phase reverse issue between the two, and the sample rates need to match but if it just sounds good enough to feed the phone mix during overdubs that's all we would need. We're going to run all the tracks into the DAW when we're done anyway, so we could do that one tape at a time.

Why not just do the first take with the 20 bit, then do each over dub right to the DAW?

Fuck that fucking computer. The SOB has blue-screened my ass one time too many in the middle of a perfect take. If it blue-screens or locks up during a tranfer, that's ok, but if it fucks up another good solo, I'm going to smash the fucker!

Type II tapes are not compatible with Type I Blackface ADATS (ie, Blackface ADAts can't play 20-bit tapes)... you can, however, play Type I tapes in a Type II machine......

Back