Will this work?

glynb

Balladeer
it has come to the point where i really need to be able to import and export WAV files from my vf160.

In order to do that I must first upgrade the software version to something above 1.01 because this version can't export WAVs.

I know i can't do this from the internal CD drive and the only option is a Zip drive via the SCSI port right?

I looked on e-bay and found the following...

" You are bidding for an Iomega Jaz 1 GByte Drive unit, Power Supply, Ultra Wide SCSI Cable, 1GByte Jaz cassette complete with packaging and CDROM containing latest Iomega Software (unit is automatically detected by Windows (assuming your SCSI is enabled) - but their software adds lot of extras to the explorer menu). There is no orginal packing or instructions."

Will this work with the vf160, or am I barking up the wrong tree? If so can anyone suggest a model which will work, or better still sell me one cheap!

export

I am not familiar with the VF160 however my D160 has the option to export .wav files via SCSCI. I found this to be a really complicated process + you have to buy a SCSCI drive + media. I found the easiest way to export wav files was by purchasing a terratec ews88d pci card for my pc which has adat optical in/out. I connect the adat out on my fostex to adat in on my computer and record the files direct to Acid/Cakewalk/soundforge 8 tracks at a time. It has never failed and the terratec card is real cheap $200 ish. I think Fostex are the distributor for terratec which might explain why they work so flawlessly together. I have seen the terratec card on ebay for $125 before. I was going to get a scond card as you can link 4 of them.

I forgot

the terratec card also has midi in out x2...so you can sync your fostex up to your PC. That way you can do one pass (tracks 1-8) then take another pass (tracks 9-16) I am assuming the VF160 has two sets of optical in/outs ?

If I understand you correctly you only need this for a one-time OS upgrade, right?
A SCSI Jaz should work, although I haven't tried it personally. I seem to remember that Kramer has posted concerns about the reliability of Jaz units: they work, but seem to break easily.
I can tell you that a 250 Mb SCSI works well: I use it all the time. For upgrading the OS a 100Mb Zip drive would do, and should be cheaper.
Have you tried 'Loot'

'Orc

Thanks for your helpful replies, appreciated. I'll look into both those options, though i try to stay clear of using my old PC for music!

A thought struck me that i could do a stereo mix down of the backing tracks to CD audio format, then take the mix to his place upload the CD audio stereo mix to his Zoom unit, and we could overdub the vocals together, mix them on top and the job's done, but I guess I'd loose quality doing it that way?

It would be simpler just to take my vf160 over to germany but that would take up much of my luggage allowance and the way the handlers treat suit cases it might never work again!

baggage

ha..yeah I had the pleasure of sitting above a cargo door on a plane once...the guy was tosiing the parcels at least ten feet untill he found one covered in 'fragile' stickers...so he took to steps forward and tossed it 5 feet ! :cool:

Back