Will this work?

tennbidder

I am planning on buying a Roland VS2400 SIAB to set up a home studio. I have several musician friends who live 100 miles or so away from me who would be glad to contribute to my recording projects.

Instead of asking them to come to me every time, could I lay down tracks on 2480 and transfer the recording to a much smaller, more portable SIAB, take the box to their house, and record their part at their location? I would probably record 2-3 songs max per visit.

If so, what SMALL unit could hold the tracks necessary to record the additional parts?

Ideas?

It would work if both SIAB's have the capability to send and receive digital data. I'm not sure that you would want to exchange data via analog, since that would involve multiple D/A-A/D conversions and the converters in these units are not perfect. It might be helpful if both units were made by the same manufacturer and if both machines had some sort of data send, dump, or transfer capability. This seems preferable to "re-recording" tracks from one machine to another. Of course the problem with this approach is that you end up buying multiple SIAB's. I would rather spend cash on mics, preamp, etc., but that's your call. You might consider something smaller than the Roland unit that could be transported. The other option would be a DAW and recording remote with a laptop or sending tracks via disk or the internet. It depends on how much equipmnt your recording friends have or are willing to buy. Good luck!

Back