Will this work? (picture attached)

jimmiebananas

Ok, so I'm using a Boss Br-864 to record because I have little money and my computer sucks. It's only got one mic input that's not powered. I'd like two powered inputs so I can use two mics at once. I'm thinking of getting the DMP3, and I'm just wondering if this setup would be ok. Also, do you think the sound quality would be better than the pre on the recorder. I realize they're both entry level for what they do (pre and recorder) but I'd like something less noisy than the pre on the recorder. I don't need/want a mixer because I pretty much play guitar and sing by myeslf so two inputs is plenty.
Image attached. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• setup.JPG
    setup.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 77
i think it should, yeah... though i haven't used either unit, i don't see why it shouldn't work with the stereo phono input.

... but wait a minute! its never going to work!! you forgot to plug the 9v power supply into the DMP3!! :p

Andy

yes, that will work but it will be a) unbalanced and potentially could cause more noise to be added to your signal (potentially) and b) probably only be able to control it via a single stereo knob right? So if you're only recording with one microphone, then you'll only get a left channel...correct? This is generally how RCA stereo inputs work on mixers. If you can, I'd recommend just running 1/4" balanced out of the preamp and into a 1/4" input if you got 'em...preferably one that maybe bypasses an amplifier stage (like those preamps on the boss)

Thanks for the responses.

There is only one input gain knob that would govern the sound of both left and right simultaneously. But I could control the input gains on the DMP3 sererately. It also records to two channels when using the RCA inputs, so I could control the faders on the recoder as well. Only getting a left channel wouldn't harm anything because it would be as if I just recorded it mono. I could also swap the cable for a splitter (1/4" to RCA) if I wanted to record one mic in stereo (though I don't see a need) I also do my mixing on my computer after transferring the files in Adobe Audition so the left/right stereo/mono thing wouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately the only way to bypass amplification is the RCA line in. The other in's are guitar and mic and obviously they're amplified.

The only thing I don't understand is the balanced/unbalanced thing because I'm new to all of this. Care to shed some light?

With the unbalanced signal, just keep your cable from the preamp to the boss as short as you can, and keep the cable away from wall warts, computer monitors, flourescent lights, and any other device that emits a hum! If you do all that, you should be fine.

Back