Will This Work For A Vocal Booth.....

Sofisticated

HEY WELL IVE HEARD THAT U CAN USE SLEEPING BAGS TO ISOLATE FOAM FROM A GENTLEMAN ON THE BOARDS......I WAS WONDERING HOW MUCH SOUND DOES IT KILL SO U CANT HEAR OUTSIDE THE AREA THAT UR RECORDING IN......AND IF IT TRULY DOES WORK.....AND WHAT ELSE DO U NEED TO PUT ON THE BAGS....I.E. FOAM.....MATRESS PADS.....EGG CRATES.......PLEASE HELP IM LOST......

Why the CAPS????

It makes posts VERY difficult to read.... and presuming you want people to read and answer your posts, why make it harder than it has to be to read it - especially posts of some length...!?!?!?

Anyways....

Putting foam or blankets/padding do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop sound from escaping.... they are used to control sound reflections.......

You are confusing sound absorption and sound isolation - two very different goals.

To isolate sound to a given room/space/whatever requires mass... essentially constructing a room within a room... of course this is relatively expensive.... and there's also no half-assed way to get around it if you want effective isolation. The physical laws of sound transmission don't give a crap about someone's budget!

If you have a problem with excess reflectivity, room modes, resonances - then you can use sound absorption materials to tame some reflections and errant frequencies in the room. This you CAN do on a budget, but will not do anything to assist sound isolation.

sorry for the caps ill edit it later on........but anyways i just want my signal around the mic to be as dead as it can get cause there is alot of sound reflecton off the walls and im tryin to kill it........so this would be an ideal way to stop the reflecton of sound off the walls?.......thanks again

On a budget - blankets, sleeping bags, any dense material hung around your sound source wiill help tame higher-frequency reflections -- you need a bit more specialized handling to deal with unwanted low-freqs.....

I did a pretty effective ghetto booth. I used a corner of the room and put up aurelex on the sides and aurelex corner pieces then for the other 2 sides, I made an L shaped frame and draped some pretty heavy blankets and sleeping bags over it. The mic pointed into the corner which was pretty dead. I don't know if the blankets or sleeping bags made all that much of a difference other than making it hotter than hell and making it a little clausterphobic in there.

Back