Will this work for a Bass Trap?

I ran across this while doing a search...

http://webpages.charter.net/jdgeisen/BassTraps/BassTrap3.htm

It's probably been asked before, but will this work if 703 is not available?

Thanks,

T
Yes, but you're probably best trying to find rigid fiberglass... More predictable results... Don't just look for OC703/705. There are many many options out there. Look for any mineral wool, cotton, or fiberglass(or even sheeps wool, hemp, etc) insulation over 40 kg/m3 (Preferably denser though). Try to find absorption coefficients for that material and ask here for our opinions on it. I wouldn't buy something without getting the coefficients though, if i were you. Here's a big list of absorption coefficients.

Where abouts are you?

Typical companies to look out for are:

Owens Corning
Roxul
Rockwool
Knauf(i use Knauf Rocksilk Universal slab RS45)
Isowool
Bonded logic ultratouch
etc.

Last edited:
:)Southern Minnesota, USA
It is in the north central part of the continental USA.
Right now there is 4" of hard packed snow on the ground and it's a balmy 35 degrees F
T

PS--are you Scots using metric or imperial units? I think 40 kg/m3 is about 2.5 pounds per cubic foot...

:)Southern Minnesota, USA
It is in the north central part of the continental USA.
Right now there is 4" of hard packed snow on the ground and it's a balmy 35 degrees F
T

PS--are you Scots using metric or imperial units? I think 40 kg/m3 is about 2.5 pounds per cubic foot...
Yeah it 2.5pcf, although i'd suggest more.

It's warmer here :p, but not hugely. We barely ever get snow where i am.

Brian(Bpape) has a company(sensible sound solutions) which sells acoustic cotton. I'd suggest the 3.5" Bulk pack(Maybe two of them if you plan to do a lot), which has free shipping to continental USA, i believe.

If you can't get shipments 'cause of the snow, why not wait until you can?

Thanks...and that is the best price I have yet seen on 2" unfaced 703!

So, with the 3.5" cotton, would/could I still make 3.5" deep x 2' x 4' frames?

What is the density of that cotton?

T

Thanks...and that is the best price I have yet seen on 2" unfaced 703!

So, with the 3.5" cotton, would/could I still make 3.5" deep x 2' x 4' frames?

What is the density of that cotton?

T
I'm not sure of the density. I think its less than 703, but it is different material, and might work in a slightly different way. The coefficients are good for the cotton. It's also eco friendly and non-irritant. It a really good price for it, imo.

Brian is a good guy as well, he'll give you lots of advice.

Hope everything works out well.

Back