Will someone pleasehelp me recreate this guitar tone

KevWestbeats

It starts at the 6 second mark. I am a keyboardist and I know little to nothing about guitar modeling and stuff like that or what gear she used on this record. The guitarist is Kenneth Babyface Edmonds if that helps any. The song came out in September 1988. I have a guitarist coming by to play but neither of us know how to make his guitar sound like this. I hope someone can help us out.

I'm hearing reverb, perhaps some wah (try auto wah, it may take days to develop the subtle technique with a wah-wah pedal,) and LOTS of finger expressiveness- something you either have or your don't. That can't be developed in a few days.

I believe it's a losing battle. Think 80's, and think Steve Lukather, regardless of whose name is on the album jacket. That's a processed sound. There is likely a lot of preamp gain, some chorus, and it could even be sampled. Back then the guitarists came in with a dorm fridge sized rack, with who know what kind of effects. But it's processed, to be sure. Trying to get it exact, without know what probably solid state amp he is using, without know what processor he is using, is just asking for trouble.
Just for fun, look into a Bob Bradshaw preamp from the 80's, a Lexicon delay (PCM70?), maybe a Yamaha SPX90 or SPX900, and you are on the right track. But it's still chasing your tail.

Thanks guys. I'll try some of these suggestions. I am using amplitube and guitar rig I will see what I can do to get this kind of sound. I have never processed guitars before I am a keyboard player and mostly do r&b and hip hop this is so out of my norm lol.

Back