Will Sending 2 Different Signals to Stereo Compressor Interfere W/ Each Other?

promesis

Black Knights of the 4H.
i have several RNCs. I know that they are not dual mono comps - i guess they are linked / stereo or sumpthin'.

let's say i have two signals i wish to compress with the same settings - since that's really all you can do with the unit. say maybe two toms or kick and snare.

using this scheme, will the two signals interfere with each other as they pass through the compressor. like if the release of one signal is not done before the next transient from the other channel enters its circuit - will it affect or re-squash the first signal before it is finished... if that makes sense

tia

i have several RNCs. I know that they are not dual mono comps - i guess they are linked / stereo or sumpthin'.

let's say i have two signals i wish to compress with the same settings - since that's really all you can do with the unit. say maybe two toms or kick and snare.

using this scheme, will the two signals interfere with each other as they pass through the compressor. like if the release of one signal is not done before the next transient from the other channel enters its circuit - will it affect or re-squash the first signal before it is finished... if that makes sense

tia

I assume there is a stereo button which links the two. In this mode I would assume the threshold for compression is taken off only 1 of the signals (probably Left), and the second compressor is side chain onto it. This means both compressors work to the threshold of the first input threshold.

Turning the stereo button off would cause them to operate independently. At least this is how all stereo compressors I have used work. Last time I used one was on a bass guitar. Triggered off the DI and compressed both the DI and a mic (B52) on the cab.

The RNC's are stereo all the time.

The answer to your question is "yes", the signals will affect each other.

If you set it to a long release they will affect each other less. Or less noticeably let's say.

The RNC's are stereo all the time.

The answer to your question is "yes", the signals will affect each other.

If you set it to a long release they will affect each other less. Or less noticeably let's say.

Thanks Sonic.. always precise, concise and relevant.

on a different note. are there any studio tricks that you can take advantage of the RNC in this way? like for example can u run bass through one channel and anther intrument in another channel that will make something cool happen?

on a different note. are there any studio tricks that you can take advantage of the RNC in this way? like for example can u run bass through one channel and anther intrument in another channel that will make something cool happen?

One could duck the other.
http://www.rane.com/par-d.html
'ducker' A dynamic processor that lowers (or "ducks") the level of one audio signal based upon the level of a second audio signal. A typical application is paging: A ducker senses the presence of audio from a paging microphone and triggers a reduction in the output level of the main audio signal for the duration of the page signal. It restores the original level once the page message is over. Another use is for talkover.

Back