Will Quantegy 407 tape strech on my MX-70?

ethyrvalve

Norman Nanoweber
Hi all,
I hope everyone is well. Looks like some exciting stuff has been happening around these parts.
Anyhow, I got a box of NOS 1998-vintage Ampex 407 1mil 1" tape and I was wondering if I should be worried about using it with my Otari MX 70? Would stretching be a concern?
(The machine's tensions were set by a tech using a reel of ATR magnetics tape; I don't own a Tentelometer).

It'll be fine if your tech has set those tensions correctly.

I must admit to a little nervousness when I get LP tape in for transfers though. It does feel ever so thin compared to SP, doesn't it!

Regards

David Ollard
Thin Brown Line
Multitrack Analog to Digital Transfers

ATR is one of the stiffest tapes and 407 is one of the thinnest, so your tension will be quite off. You may see some stretching but I doubt breakage on that machine. Whatever problems may arise will damage the tape and not the transport or heads. This is likely to be more noticeable with lots of shuttling back and forth while multitracking. It will be somewhat hard on the tape with enough passes.

Hey thanks for the sage advice folks. I'll proceed with caution. If I'm not able readjust the tension to a happier medium before I have to use a reel, I'll be sure to avoid stopping from the fast wind modes (the library wind seems considerably gentler).

Back