Will my soundcard work?

Cobra67

I was planning on just doing simple recording: Hook my Tascam 424 into my computer via a Y cable and recording. However I don't think I have a "Line In". I know I have a "Mic in". My soundcard is a basic SoundBlaster AudioPCI 64D Mixer. I'm not real knowledgeable on this stuff so someone please let me know! Thanks ahead of time.

The mic in won't work, sorry. It's a special computer mic format with some odd phantom power. Just leave it alone and forget it's there.

You need a soundcard with line in but almost all cards have it. If yours doesn't, get a cheapo SB with line in. Unless your after good quality but then it's another price tag...

/Ola

ola,

look i believe you but i've recorded using an sb16(!?) and a single elctret mic (the ones you can aim and listen to conversations that are like a mile away) ok so it sounded like shit i didn't care then. if i can use a mic why can't he use a line in on it?

just curious

guhlenn:)

ps this surely sounds stupid: why can't i use line in on a mic in... the answer seems obvious, but still, you could turn the gain to almost 0 then it should work in theory right?

Two reasons:

1. Line in and mic in have different properties and the mic in, which works on lower voltages, will produce a heavily distorted result when being fed a line signal.

2. Mic inputs on some/most cheap computer soundcards have some sort of phantom power, designed for use with the mic that came with the computer, and may hurt the machine you plug into it. However, this is not likely as this phantom power is very weak and most equipment have protection against plugs put in the wrong place but why take the chance when the result will be crap anyway?

Cobra - Are ou sure that you don't have a line in on your card? The symbo next to the input usually look something like this
-((>)) (an arrog going into "radio waves")

Cheers

/Ola

it was ment in a theoretical kinda way.

just interrested. back then we made punk so the more distortion, the better;)

those were the days my friend...blablabla...

thanks though for answering .
and so soon.

;)

greetz guhlenn

OK maybe I do have a "Line-In"

OK I do have the "little circles with the arrow going into them" symbol. I honestly thought that was the "Line-In" input. When I tried plugging into it from my Tascam 424 nothing came out of my computer speakers. I even changed my "recording control" to "Line" from my Windows mixer. HELP!

Darn, my super-special ASCII art turned into a smiley. I meant: -((>))

Anyway, what recording software are you using? Does it recognise your soundcard? Also, the line out symbol looks almost identical: <((-)). Maybe that's what you have?

Have you tried plugging your Tascam into something else (hifi receiver etc.) to make sure that you actually get a line signal?

/Ola

Back