will it work?

mathieujohnson

all right, I've been reading on here for a while and i registered because i had this question to ask.

I baught a never used (almost brand new) Marshall MXL 1006 + shockmount + 20' xlr cable + boom stand on ebay for 67$ + shipping, so its costing me 85$.
Is this a good deal?
is the mike good? (i know it depends on what i want to do with it.....)

What i want to know is will it be good on drum overheads? I am a drummer and i was looking for mikes that would be really good for a really low price. I know that small diaphragmes are usually used for overheads, but will my large one do just as good?
would i be better off with some MXL 603s?

if its not good on the overheads, can i still use it on my drums? and if i can on what would i use it?

Thanx a lot for your answers!

I would use it on whatever it sounds good with.

I know that's a pretty lame answer, but it's the truth. I've got mic's lying around that I haven't used in years. But once in a while, something will come up that begs for a particular sound.

That being said, I have a tendecy to stick with small diaphragms for overheads... However, I love to put a large diaphragm "mono room" mic several feet in front of the kit...

Other than that, you can use the 1006 for pretty much anything that isn't going to kill it. Vocals, guitars, strings, winds...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

IMHO, $85 is a pretty reasonable price for what you described. I'd try it out on everything - vocals, drum overhead, guitars, egg shakers, cowbell, tamborine, cello, whatever comes your way. ;)

Back