Will I Notice A Difference?

Vikki

Will I Hear A Difference?

I was thinking of replacing my M-Audio 2496 soundcard with a Lynx audio L22, will i notice an impovement in audio quality in my recordings? Or is the expectation going to be greater than the reality? I have good preamps and reasonable mics along with some good 3 way acoustic monitors.
Vikki(uk)

Last edited:
after being a gearslutz for a few years I've realized the expectation(especially if you peruse internet forums) waaaaayyyyyy exceeds the reality.

But you should be able to notice improvements, but it won't be....ugghhhh that audiophile is crap how could I ever record with such a peice.

edit: I upgraded from Delta 66 to Lynx Two C

Last edited:
My general experience with this stuff is that with the exception of microphones where a different and/or better mic will give you a VERY noticeable change in sound, sound changes from different preamps and especially converters are far more subtle. Yes, you should be able to hear a difference, but it won't necessarily be apocalyptic. Sometimes the difference is more noticeable in a mix as opposed to soloed tracks. It also depends on what the rest of the chain is like, especially your monitors. That said, I too am looking to upgrade my card and converters (Aardvark) to Lynx (AES 16 and Aurora).

Thanks for the info, i think i will go with the L22 in a couple of weeks, not sure what to use for midi, woukld the Midex 3 work o.k with Sonar, or do i just use my 2496 for midi?
Vikki(uk)

Vikki said:
Thanks for the info, i think i will go with the L22 in a couple of weeks, not sure what to use for midi, woukld the Midex 3 work o.k with Sonar, or do i just use my 2496 for midi?
Vikki(uk)

you should still be able to use the audiphile

I upgraded from the 24/96 to the Lynx IIA. I noticed a dramatic difference like a veil had been lifted from the sound.

i bought the Mackie 400F

unrelated to Lynx but, I had both the Delta 24/96 and Delta 44.
I did notice a difference in brighter timbre and more hi air EQ.
the M-audio sounds darker and murkier but, it is very slight.
I'm told it does add up in the final mix but, track to track its like
5% better and not 50% or even 10% " oh my god, how could I have recorded
with that".

Hi,
I added a Lynx L22 to my system to do all the D/A, and to be my gold channel A/D. My other converters are Delta 66. The difference is subtle, but it's there. The L22 is a great deal. Jeff Katz considers the Lynx converters to be of mastering quality, as do others similarily qualified to make that assessment. That doesn't mean they're the last word in converters, but it does mean that you can remove the converters from suspicion when contemplating your recordings, your mixes, and your signal chain.
Let us know what you think after you get them.

Regards,
RD

Back