Will I need an external hard drive?

twodaydrive

Hello friends, just a quick question if anyone can help. Firstly, here is my set up.

Comp: Macbook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.53 ghz, 8gb Ram, 250gb hard drive (100 gb free)
Interface: Mackie Onyx Blackbird
Software: Logic Express 9

My setup has gone smoothly so far as I only record 1-2 tracks simultaneously. I'm going to be recording a drumkit this weekend and will probably have 7 inputs recording at once. I'm wondering if my computer will be able to handle the load or if I should invest in an external audio drive. I'm not concerned about storage space since I will be backing everything up on Gobbler, I am just concerned on whether or not I will run into issues while I am recording. I upgraded my ram to 8gb assuming this will help out. Thanks for your help!

You should always have an external drive for backups if nothing else. Drives are cheap these days.

1 You won't run into any problems in recording by not having an external drive.

2 But getting an external drive is a good thing to do (e.g what rwhite says ^^).

Yes getting an external drive is a good option...they a cheap in price and provide lots of space...they can be used as backup drive for your PC....

As others have said, you don't NEED an external drive but they can be a good idea for a number of reasons:

First, I don't know the Mac architecture but on many systems it can improve performance on audio work to have your OS and DAW software on one drive (i.e. the built in one) and your audio files on another (the external).

Second, uncompressed audio files are pretty large and can rapidly fill a laptop hard drive. Keeping your data on an external drive (and adding more as time goes on) keeps your Macbook healthy and happy.

Finally, using an external drive keeps your source files archived when you upgrade your computer.

Frankly, the system demands when recording are pretty low compared to when you're mixing and adding real time effects so, for simple recording, it's not a big deal. But, in the longer term, an external drive is a good idea.

You want hard drive thats good. For my opinion you should buy Seagate external hard drive. It will also provide you 5 years warranty.

I'm wondering if my computer will be able to handle the load or if I should invest in an external audio drive.

As others have already said... your rig is fine, you do not NEED an external. But I'd advise you to get one ASAP... really, it is the safe, smart thing to for backups. I bought the latest Western Digital My Passport Studio a few months ago and it is stellar. 1TB, FW800, silent.... VERY satisfied, about $170.

As a back up, an external drive is going to be your best friend. For ease of use, get a NAS drive. Hang it off your router, mount it and move files over as required.

The manufacturers have made this so cheap and easy, no good reason not too.

I wondered why I got a copy of the update for something I didn't remember posting in...then I checked the date.

It's amazing how fast things change in terms of disk storage. A couple of months ago I bought a Seagate 2 Terabyte drive for $89.99 Australian.

...and another one hangs off my router for backups though my wifi isn't really fast enough to actually use that for recording or
mixing.

Edited to change 1 Terabyte to 2 terabyte. The OLD drive (on the router) is 1TB and cost about $100 eighteen months ago. How prices change.

Last edited:
I wondered why I got a copy of the update for something I didn't remember posting in...then I checked the date.

It's amazing how fast things change in terms of disk storage. A couple of months ago I bought a Seagate 1 Terabyte drive for $89.99 Australian.

...and another one hangs off my router for backups though my wifi isn't really fast enough to actually use that for recording or mixing.

There was a bit of necroposting by a spammer before DM60 . . . since deleted.

But yes . . . the cost of storage has plummeted over the years.

There was a bit of necroposting by a spammer before DM60 . . . since deleted.

But yes . . . the cost of storage has plummeted over the years.

I noticed the original date after I posted. Seemed like a typical question, didn't look at the first post date.

A lot has been told about the subject so I just will reinforce what they said. An external hard-drive is one of more amazing accessories you can purchase for your computer. Think about them as HUGE pendrives and being that they have a lot of benefits:

1) Backup of your important data and copy of ongoing projects
2) Nice place for store archived data (too much more reliable than CDs and DVDs)
3) Extra space to store install packages, run projects, etc
4) An excellent way to transport and transfer huge ammounts of data among computers

And these are only four things I can think of. Also as someone has spotted they are cheap so it won't break the bank. I have this 320GB Samsung (that is actually factored by Seagate) that I bought a bit more than one year ago and I can say that it was one of my best purchases ever.

:)

I know that this is completely off of the topic but kind of relates. Another thing that you never wil regret if you buy is an SSD. I purchased one about a couple months ago and am in love with it. I bought a very small one (Kingston 60GB) exclusively to put Windows 7 and programs so I really didn't need too much more space than this. Dude, if someone has told me before that it would make my PC perform a complete Windows 7 cold boot in as little as 8 seconds I never would believe!

:D

Back